Range hood and face frame cabinets
I'm building face frame cabinets for a small kitchen. The range hood will be directly under one of them. Question about cabinet depth. Does the lower FF rail normally sit flush with the front of the hood? (The upper part -- obviously the lower part sticks out). Would it look stupid if the cabinet were deeper than the top of the hood, and the rail hung down in front by some amount?

Thanks again.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
My range hood extends about 8 inches from the cabinets positioned above. The cabinet FF comes down to the top of the hood. The current unit replaced the original with the kitchen with a similar configuration. FWIW
If I understand it correctly, yes you could do that if you want, I don't think it necessarily would look funny, but its not usually done.
 I believe I would work out the cabinet depth so it sets behind the vent by just a small amount. I believe you would find the protrusion at the least odd and at worst something of an issue for splatter and grease that does not stay in the confines of the hood 

JMO
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

My cabinet has an angled front so that the bottom of the cabinet captures the range hood and the top matches the 12" depth of the other cabinets.  The cabinet above the hood is not very useful. 

I would have preferred a deeper cabinet for utility or no doors for a sleeker design.

Or a microwave with the range hood built in.

http://www.wearefound.com/wp-content/upl...00x468.jpg
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-07-2016, 11:15 AM)JGrout Wrote: ...I believe you would find the protrusion at the least odd and at worst something of an issue for splatter and grease that does not stay in the confines of the hood 

JMO

Good point! Thanks, Joe. I hadn't thought of that.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site