Kitchen uppers depth
(12-10-2016, 10:24 AM)Aram Wrote:  I'll have to capture the cleats with screws from the outside. A little annoying because I have to find a way to cover them on the exposed cabinets, but no biggie.

For those places the screws may be exposed just cut a pocket for the cleat to go into and drive the screws in from the back...  hidden and secure  in two steps
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

There's too much waste and no practical advantage to 2 more inches of depth. Just more space for things to hide in the back.

You all are making the mounting waaay to complicated.

3" cabinet mounting screws and a stud finder is all you need.
(12-12-2016, 12:09 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: My only comment is "Why?"

There's too much waste and no real advantage to 2 more inches of depth.

The air in front of the cabinet is wasted for storage if it is outside the cabinet right?

14" allows for larger pots, cake pan covers etc.

It also places items closer to the user for short height or armed folks.

It gives you about 30 percent more space per shelf.
WoodNET... the new safespace
There is waste but I think it's worth it and you can use the cut-offs for toe kicks.. You really do notice that extra 2" when you have it. As soon as we moved into the new house, the wife noticed "the small cupboards". I understand the "we've always done it this way" mentality and it does save plywood but it doesn't save much labor. Those couple inches add up quickly. You really don't notice anything different in the kitchen till you open a cabinet. If the goal is to store stuff, it's a cheap way to get more storage out of a kitchen. It's only money spent once.

Figure you have 20 linear ft (or 240 inches) of uppers at 28 inches tall, assuming there's a bulkhead. Adding 2" gives you almost 8 cubic feet of cabinet space without building more cabinets. 11-1/2 cubic ft more with 42" tall uppers (no bulkhead). To me, that's worth the extra plywood.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS