Another Van Dyke Crystal ?
Okay I've used the crystal solution and am attempting to use water base poly as a top coat. But it seems to desolve some of the dye. What's going on here? Should I use a different top coat?

Thanks
Jim
Jim
From what I read Van Dyke's Crystals are water soluble.  If so, you can't hand a apply a water based topcoat over it UNLESS you first seal it.  The easiest way to do that is to spray it with rattle can shellac.  When that's dry you can apply your water based topcoat any way you want. 

Your other options are to use an oil based sealer and/or topcoat, or to spray a water based topcoat. 

John
If your rubbing or brushing on shellac, it will also lift the color a bit. I would use the rattle can shellac as already stated to seal it.
(12-15-2016, 08:58 PM)Scoony Wrote: If your rubbing or brushing on shellac, it will also lift the color a bit. I would use the rattle can shellac as already stated to seal it.

+3.  The (non)rattle can shellac is great.  And I noticed the other day it was being sold at WalMart!

(FYI, it is an aerosol can but there isn't a marble inside to mix and break-up the solids.  Have some fun with a shop helper and tell them to keep shaking this "old" can until the marble breaks free.)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Big Grin 
Have some fun with a shop helper and tell them to keep shaking this "old" can until the marble breaks free. Bob they might try to shake my old can.
Smirk

I think I wasn't letting the dye completely dry before brushing on the poly. I'll experiment.

Thanks for the help
Jim
(12-17-2016, 06:21 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Have some fun with a shop helper and tell them to keep shaking this "old" can until the marble breaks free. Bob they might try to shake my old can.
Smirk

I think I wasn't letting the dye completely dry before brushing on the poly. I'll experiment.

Thanks for the help
Jim

It won't matter how dry it is, water based poly will pull up some of the water based dye.  You might find it OK, but it's not optimal.  But you can easily eliminate the problem by spraying the well dried dye with rattle can shellac, then brush on your poly after that is dry. 

John