Black rectangle on television
Thanks to responders. Wife started pushing buttons. Solved problem. probably was closed captioning.

tom

It started with local cbs channel, only on local production.  Disappeared on network programing.  Recently it has appeared on other networks and on national feed.   

Tried new channel search no luck. 

Is there a new tv in my future?   

tom
Do you have closed captioning turned on?  Sometimes I find a black square where the closed captioning should appear but there is no captioning.

The newer sets outperform the older ones.  I am waiting for the set in my family room to fail so I can feel OK about replacing it.  The refresh rate is slow and action sequences look herky jerky.  

The newer set in my bedroom has both better colors, and a faster refresh rate.  A better experience.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Might be worth a shot to check your Closed Caption settings.
Missed it by >< much....
You do know all programs are shown in different formats. It is like in the movies the screen is masked with curtains to fit the format of the film. The same happens to a tv program. When a movie is posted on tv it is formatted to fit the screen. Not sure if that is what you are seeing. Next time you watch tv watch the outer edges of the screen and see how they change from commercial to commercial or station to station.
John T.
Sometimes our TV gets its "fit to screen" setting changed by a program (Netflix or YouTube...something)  All I have to do is go into settings on my cable box and change it back to Fit to Screen.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I sometimes get less than full screen if it is an older program that is not in HD.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
But the black bars are not usually (or never) just on the bottom. Bars are symmetric. And the OP's doesn't go all the way to the sides.

Sure sounds like a closed-caption type box.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Somewhere in your settings there is probably a "reset all". I'd try that if all else fails. You will have to scan for channels again and change any picture or sound settings you had.
On my tv it seems to be connected to closed captions. I just go up one channel and back down.

The problem started several years after we got the TV. So you may be correct that the problem is some sort of failure.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.