Input on crazy idea for movable walls
A realtor friend asked me this.

" I have a buyer who is allowing me to try my micro home developments on a large scale. Transforming units to create large spaces in small ones. Of course, I have some bat **** crazy ideas that gave a few architects pause but they are willing to work with me, so far. What I can't seem to find but want to build are moving walls without tracks. I found multi-directional wheels with retractable casters (using a foot lever to lift the case) used for large and heavy tool chests. Of course, these wardrobe/storage walls  are 10 feet tall, will be very heavy and filled with storage. I hope to stabilize them with pressurized wheels on the top pressing against the ceiling and maybe a wheel/balance rest in the center so it can't tip. This is a sample with the tracks I want to eliminate. This unit is pretty close to what I am building with some modifications and a second level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2-2j9e4co"

She then asked how nuts her idea is, on a sliding scale.

Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? Possible or not? Genius, or lawsuit of the century?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(05-30-2017, 02:43 PM)Aram Wrote: She then asked how nuts her idea is, on a sliding scale.

The scale doesn't go far enough.
Big Grin
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I dated an interior designer (not a decorator).  The interior designers have some architectural training and can modify structures.

She worked for a large office building company.  She told me that each floor of a new building was completely open and that they could subdivide and ready almost any floor in about one week.  

The walls were all sheet rock over steel studs.  They did not do any painting, but put up commercial textured wall paper.  And they could carpet an entire floor of a building in one day.  

So the walls went up day one.  Then the suspended ceiling and the wall paper took three days, along with the tiling for the bathrooms.  And finally the carpet goes down in one day.

So does it make sense to make something more modular?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Sounds to me like an Abbot and Castillo or Three Stuges movie in the making.  Maybe even a Road Runner Cartoon.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
One problem I can imagine is that, without tracks, the devices will want to sort of go where they want to go, which is whatever direction the wheels start in.  So they're going to need to find casters that are basically balls (they do exist, right).

But the real problem is what she already knows, stability.  Ceilings aren't typically parallel enough (to floors) or sturdy enough to drive a second set of casters.

They key, I think, would be to design stability into the structures.  Make them wide enough that they won't tip.  That may mean a 12" or 14" deep floor to ceiling bookshelf is out of the question, but maybe a combination bookshelf on one side, TV+storage unit on the other is doable.  Maybe the two could be hinged together on one side so they can further open to reveal more storage.

Sounds interesting.

Don't crush her creativity.
I think it would work if the walls are L-shaped, T-shaped would be even better.  Then you wouldn't need wheels against the ceiling, which is unlikely to work anyway.  But for a straight wall, yeah, it would have to be pretty wide to be stable, like 2-1/2 to 3' wide.  Imagine someone falling against one of these walls.  That's what you have to design for. 

John
Another thought.  If you put anchor points in the floor that the walls bolt to you could have straight walls and make them narrower.  You wouldn't have infinite flexibility in location, but it gets close to her vision.  

John
my mom had me move a wall once.  We had added it in, but she wanted it in a different place.  We took the drywall off of one side, removed all the nails holding it in place, and 4-5 of us moved it and then nailed it back into place.  I was really surprised that it went so well.  I had an interesting childhood. I have removed a lot of walls, that was the only one I ever moved and reused.
Sorry but the only thing that came to mind when i read was an expanded steel ceiling and a strap at the top of the wall against the ceiling like a bumper car...

The issue is going to be anything that isnt a 90* wall is going to fall over.
maybe a military surplus expando?  Ok, googled for expando, and maybe it's not a common term.  Building the size of a trailer fits in a box about 2' thick.  Worked in one for 3 months one time.