Extension cord repair
so do they sell the lighted ends for repair? What is the real idea to a lighted end?
Yes lighted replacement ends are available. Light indicates power is flowing.
(08-02-2017, 02:02 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: 1. Slip heat shrink tubing on 

2. Position sleeves in a staggerred fashion so they don't make a lump.

3. Repair using crimper and sleeves.   Or Solder.

4. Slip heat shrink tubing over repair.

I've fixed many power tool cords like this.  It really works quite well and doesn't hang up if done right.  Heat shrink is very tough.

This. Note solder
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Since others brought it back up...Update:

It was a 50' 14/3 that was cut.  Repairing it was on the to-do list.  Was at Meanrd's today and wandered past extension cords.  $35 for a 14/3 at 50'...yea worth repairing.  Then I noticed next shelf over...12/3 50' on sale for $19.99 (plus I'll get 11% rebate).  So "replace" is the answer.  If you go looking:  the cord is Red White and Blue (and has lighted end for you Jack 
Winkgrin  ).  I would have bet my 11% that it was made in China being so much cheaper, but it says made in America!  Even better.

I think I have another use for the cut remains of the old one anyhow...  thanks for all of the tips!
(08-17-2017, 10:32 PM)JosephP Wrote: Since others brought it back up...Update:

It was a 50' 14/3 that was cut.  Repairing it was on the to-do list.  Was at Meanrd's today and wandered past extension cords.  $35 for a 14/3 at $50...yea worth repairing.  Then I noticed next shelf over...12/3 50' on sale for $19.99 (plus I'll get 11% rebate).  So "replace" is the answer.  If you go looking:  the cord is Red White and Blue (and has lighted end for you Jack 
Winkgrin  ).  I would have bet my 11% that it was made in China being so much cheaper, but it says made in America!  Even better.

I think I have another use for the cut remains of the old one anyhow...  thanks for all of the tips!

It is really pretty amazing they can sell them for that.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(08-17-2017, 10:34 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: It is really pretty amazing they can sell them for that.

Last time I bought an 'affordable' one was from a McCoys... and nothing plugged in to it will stay plugged in. Very loose.
(08-02-2017, 09:40 PM)Anak Wrote: And my worm drive is drilled and tapped to lock out the guard.

My preacher just jams a door shim under the guard handle. Seems to work well enough and easy to remove when the inspection weenies come by.
Smile

My preacher is a former building contractor and the inspectors are the local Habitat folks who don't get their hands dirty.

Preacher also owns a Hitachi framing nailer with a bump trigger that I cannot get used to. I put a 16p nail in the middle of my palm with it. Ouch!
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
What were you doing that the nose of the gun was on your palm?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-18-2017, 10:08 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: What were you doing that the nose of the gun was on your palm?

I never said I was smart.

I was toe-nailing framing for a wheelchair ramp. I was holding the 2x horizontally and the gun bounced. Of course, I countered the recoil and pushed the gun up against my now free opposite hand. With the bump trigger, it fired again. Fortunately, my hand was in the air instead of being backed by a solid surface, so the nail was just lodged in the bone. Not a through and through. After a few moments to think (and make a few folks nauseated) I pulled the nail out. We cleaned it, wrapped it up and finished the job. It was modestly hard to pull out. No need for a tetanus shot. I seem to always be up to date for some reason. Since I could move all fingers and had feeling everywhere, I felt no need to go to the hospital.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Ouch.
Yes
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020