Early WoodNet, still more added
(01-17-2018, 09:12 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ok Peter, you got it!  It's my habit, as my father's two sisters were Nuns, so "Father" and "Sister" are in my DNA.

Thanks!
Peter

My "day job"
(01-18-2018, 04:08 PM)Skip J. Wrote: He used to sign his name, but I don't remember it, but it wasn't Cliff..
There is a Cliff Ober who still is on here occasionally, he used to be from the Houston area, and then moved up north about a year ago...

It was Clint.

e deploribus unum

(01-17-2018, 09:12 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ok Peter, you got it!  It's my habit, as my father's two sisters were Nuns, so "Father" and "Sister" are in my DNA.

I see what you did there.
For several years, different area groups had names, most designating the geological area. The Kansas City area's name was GPIN. Stood for Great Plains Igit Nation.

The back story to the term Igit started when a 'serious' woodworker objected strenuously to the Off Topic posting in the Woodworking forum(there was no official Off Topic forum at that point). Those of us who caused the birth of the Basement(the official Off Topic forum) would post frivolously about non woodworking matters---using the OT disclaimer in the thread title. That legally allowed such a thing. Remember, this was under the first three rules, the second of which was: Stay on Topic.

That serious woodworker(who was only one of several who called the Woodworking forum home) got so mad he called us non conformists Igits, saying we were much worse than regular i diots(I had to spell it that way because of the new software censors) and therefore did not deserve the normal definition.

Took about 10 minutes for a tradition to be born and gleefully maintained. That event also generated the formation of the Off Topic forum. Which led to the reputation of WoodNet being a shoot first and the heck with questions place. We were way too crass and ill mannered to be a real woodworking forum---even though some of the best woodworkers in the world were and still are members. As well as some really talented amateurs and hobbiests.
The OT worked well,it was well managed by mods like Mac.Unfortunately some people couldn't control themselves and after repeated warnings got permabanned.Too bad,some of them were great people when they behaved.Things have settled down a lot.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-01-2018, 02:31 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: That serious woodworker(who was only one of several who called the Woodworking forum home) got so mad he called us non conformists Igits, saying we were much worse than regular i diots(I had to spell it that way because of the new software censors) and therefore did not deserve the normal definition.

Took about 10 minutes for a tradition to be born and gleefully maintained...

Goodness, I lov this place. 
Laugh
Cool
Leonard Bailey posted a pic once of an entire living room end table cabinet full to the brim with what appeared to be NOS in box Stanley planes.

I don’t know what happened to him. Heard he was having health problems at one time but don’t if it’s true. I believe he was a younger guy like me.

Also to add to the members we have lost: Window Guy and RocketRod. Two of my Secret Santa recipients.

And if you can’t see this post then you gumped me.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
WTF! Bump.

Laugh
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Lots of the above guys no longer here.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-04-2024, 03:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Lots of the above guys no longer here.

I have been around since 2001 - lots of advice and fun over the early years.  Remember Mad Mark, Dave Arbuckle (sketchup expert), and old Woody, who could craft quick n' easy jigs for just about anything?  The hoopla Mac described led me to just lurk for several years, though.