Early WoodNet, still more added
(11-25-2017, 08:39 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Another was the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw orgy. They went on sale for somewhere around $130---I think over 150 were bought just by Netters.

For those unaware, the HF band saw is a clone of a Delta model. What folks did was buy the HF saw, and a Delta riser, and a blade and Bingo, a 12" resaw capacity for less than $200. The only gotcha was the crappy motor.

My former HF 14" bandsaw passed the nickel test.  I eventually got a Delta 14" and just paid more for a gray paint job. LOL.

[Image: HFBS_Profile_web.jpg] [Image: HFBS_NickelTest_web.jpg]
And let’s not forget about the The Harbor Freight Central Machinery Dust Collector Thread.

[Image: HF2hpDC45378.gif]
It was so majestic, I created a page to document its impact within our Woodnet history:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/W...Thread.htm

Woodnet Central Machinery Dust Collector Trivia
  • Thread Started: July 10, 2002, 2:27pm

• Thread Founder and first recorded HF 2hp DC Owner: Chris72IL

• Shortest Delivery Wait: 11 Days (Rob J: Ordered 2/8/03. Received 2/19/03.)

• Longest Delivery Wait: 91 Days (Rob H: Ordered 10/30/02. Received 1/30/03.)

• Motors blown: 1

• Number of people who opted to purchase two units: 2

• First WoodNet thread page without a recorded purchase: 13

• Batting 1000: rbl2 (post #1000); David Gillie (reply #1000)

• First Conversion into a Cat Collector: rbl2

• Last Thread Purchaser: kaveman 

• Last Post: March 3, 2003, 10:44am by rbl2

• Total Posts: more than 1400
I was ale to get a Festool track saw with the 25% Bing rebate...about 2 weeks before Festool shut that convenience down. Really soured me on Festool (the company). As I recall that Bing rebate was a moving target, seems like it went as high as 30%once or twice. there was a lot of notices here on Woodnet that kept us posted on what the rebate amount was.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-25-2017, 07:58 PM)Cian Wrote: And does anyone else remember that freakish time where Microsoft was giving 25% discounts on web purchases via MS Bing?

Yes, that was fun shopping. I can remember DW 735's for 300 bux, w/tables. For a while I thought this place existed solely to keep me from ever retiring. Hartville tool Summer Sale, Amazoo madness, Brian coming up with Byrd heads during the BING madness, plus woodnet discount, plus low prices......... Then Rob started offering crazy LV credit cards for 1 grand with a cost of 750, and didn't mind you using them during free S&H events. Tools Plus, Tool Crib, what was the guys name from the battery rebuilder place, he had wild crazy deals too. Something new posted almost every day.

I remember thinking I might need to slow down when LOML was sitting behind 13 boxes from all different vendors one day when I came home later than her
Rolleyes
Uhoh
Crazy
Slap
Dead

I always beat her home, and had a chance to hide, errrrrrrrr put away my purchases........
Big Grin

A friend of mine got to calling me "flipper"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Good stuff Mac.

Some things I remember from the earlier days:

The great database meltdown which cost a lot of members their post count.

The $12,000 mdf cabinet.

Dave’s dirty dozen tips for rust removal/protection.

The story about the flatulence so strong you could throw a sheet over it and send it out to trick-or-treat on its own.
(11-25-2017, 08:39 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Another was the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw orgy. They went on sale for somewhere around $130---I think over 150 were bought just by Netters.

For those unaware, the HF band saw is a clone of a Delta model. What folks did was buy the HF saw, and a Delta riser, and a blade and Bingo, a 12" resaw capacity for less than $200. The only gotcha was the crappy motor.

One I remember was the Worksharp 3000 at Sears for $25, It was supposed to be $25 off retail price.
I was lucky to get one, I would have got more but my local store only had the one.

It always works on paper!
I believe it was the WoodNet forum that alerted me to the WorkSharp 3000 @ Home Depot for $77.60 delivered. This was in December 2010. An error on the part of Home Depot. They cancelled all orders and then agreed to honor them if a valid order number was provided. It took three months to arrive but it was worth the wait.

Bill
(11-26-2017, 10:17 PM)wjt Wrote: I believe it was the WoodNet forum that alerted me to the WorkSharp 3000 @ Home Depot for $77.60 delivered. This was in December 2010. An error on the part of Home Depot. They cancelled all orders and then agreed to honor them if a valid order number was provided. It took three months to arrive but it was worth the wait.

Bill

I got mine for  $64.00, and I thank Home Depot every time I go there and make a purchase.  Little gestures like this on the Borgs go a long way.
(11-26-2017, 06:04 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Good stuff Mac.

Man, I'll bet that put some folks into a tizzy.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
badwhiskey Wrote: Good stuff Mac.

(11-27-2017, 06:24 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Man, I'll bet that put some folks into a tizzy.

Yeah,
I'm still trying to catch up
Big Grin

It always works on paper!