I need a tile saw
(03-13-2018, 09:40 AM)EricU Wrote: I thought the last time we had this discussion there was a saw one step up from the HF or Skil that wasn't too expensive.

Skil has Model 3550 which is a step up from Model 3540. It gets good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZix0OVrSUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPMojaY3VgE

Skil 3550-02 

It's hard to find fault with the cheaper Model 3540. It has hundreds of positive reviews. Both Skil models get better reviews than the Ryobi.
(03-12-2018, 11:29 AM)Cooler Wrote: I am planning on putting down Cararra marble 12" x 12" tile.  I will need to lay down just 35 tiles, so this is not a big job.  But I will need a saw.

Do some research about diamond blades and buy one for your angle grinder.  As was mentioned cutting marble is it's own unique procedure.  It is more like clay than stone, the blade and water to keep the cut cool are important.  Might look for some scrap to practice on before going after what you are laying down.  I have used sandpaper rolled up to enlarge holes in old counters, marble is that soft.  I imagine you could rough cut your tile and sand slowly down to the line so you keep the heat down.  Think ancient civilizations used marble without diamond stones and they make $10 chess sets in Mexico out of it or onyx special tools are necessarily required paying attention to what you are doing is
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Using an angle grinder will kick up a lot of dust. A lot. 

Wet saws will spray you and everything within six feet or so. Get a good blade.
Thanks everyone.  I am filling a few divots this weekend and pouring a self leveling compound.  Then I will wait for warm weather for the sawing.

I still have not made up my mind on the saw.  The marble choice has been made however.  I am thinking of re-sale value and marble never seems to go out of style and it is a "rich" finish in my opinion.  (In other words it is a "safe" choice.)

Thanks,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
This is the saw for marble, Pricey!

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/MK-101-Wet-Tile-Saw

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(03-13-2018, 05:42 PM)woodhead Wrote: This is the saw for marble, Pricey!

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/MK-101-Wet-Tile-Saw

Al

I have that saw it is way more than he needs for the small job he has.  If he has a home depot around I think that is one of the saws they rent.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-13-2018, 08:16 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I've done a good bit of tile work and can't stand working with marble. Don't mind so much using it for shower curb caps. It can't be cut with a grinder because of chipping, won't score and snap like fired tile and it stains and wears poorly... it's soft.

That being said, I've cut it with wet saws but had poor luck with cheap wet saws and chipping. IMHO, use a decent saw, even if you have to rent it and a new diamond blade.

QFT!

I tiled my parent's bathroom in marble, and my mother being a quilter she went with a pattern that involved lots of cuts, and lots of little triangular pieces.  I had to keep track of all my little pieces and glue things back together before setting them.  What a pain.  It did come out nicely though.
(03-13-2018, 10:58 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I have that saw it is way more than he needs for the small job he has.  If he has a home depot around I think that is one of the saws they rent.

I have rented one from HD, I also have owned this model since 1990. It will cut brick. The thing about this saw and the $300 saws is the way the blade is driven. This is belt drive, where the others are direct, introducing vibration into the blade and leading to the chipping of the stone.  That's why I suggested it. he would be better off renting a better saw to get the best results. Freehand with a grinder is sketchy.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The reason I chose marble is because it seems to be "timeless" as a design element and the marble is available for $4.00 per foot from Home Depot.  So the 35 tiles I need will cost just $140.00 and it will be "real" marble.  

I may end up doing all three bathrooms (two for sure).  The unifying design element will be the marble.  

I am not a very confident designer, so I looked on line for the "timeless" types of design and marble keeps coming up.

Plus in one episode of The Vanilla Ice Project, Rob said, "If you want to add glitz and value, think marble".  (Not an exact quote but close enough.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-14-2018, 07:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: The reason I chose marble is because it seems to be "timeless"

Keep in mind... it does wear and the finish will dull, unlike glazed/fired tile and it does stain. New marble looks great. Old marble, not so much.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS