Paint smearing on wood sign
I routed a wood sign out of the edge to edge glued pine. Spray pained the routed areas, and used a sanding sealer to seal it. The sanding sealer smeared the paint. I have used the sanding sealer before with different paint. (handed painted with a brush) and never had any problems with good results from the sanding sealer. Does anyone know the combination I should be using so the spray paint doesn't smear when I seal it.

thanks for any in-put
(06-25-2018, 11:38 AM)mikeminn221 Wrote: I routed a wood sign out of the edge to edge glued pine. Spray pained the routed areas, and used a sanding sealer to seal it. The sanding sealer smeared the paint. I have used the sanding sealer before with different paint. (handed painted with a brush) and never had any problems with good results from the sanding sealer. Does anyone know the combination I should be using so the spray paint doesn't smear when I seal it.

Well, more information is needed: 1) What are the specific brands of the spray paint and sanding sealer, e.g. the sealer may have a solvent that affected the spray paint; and 2) If able, post a pic or two of the smearing.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Sanding sealer is dewaxed shellac, which means it's mostly denatured alcohol (probably a 1# or 2# cut).

Acrylic and latex paints are soluble in alcohol, so putting alcohol over top of them will cause some dissolution.

You should be able to use enamel, alkyd, and oil paint with sanding sealer.
Photo 
thanks all
yeah, I am having issues getting images to upload. Reduced sizes so they should be fine, but just won't upload. So I will do my best.

The spray paint is typical hardware paint/primer: Rustoleum 2x paint/primer flat black. Does say its contains Acetone + Xylene.
On the technical Data sheet (internet) says its "enamel spray" but the resin type says Acrylic Modified Alkyd, whatever that means.

the sanding sealer is: McCloskeys Super sanding sealer, not much info on the can other then warnings and application info. Says use mineral spirits for thinning and cleanup, so oil based.

and the paint that did work with sealer (use previously and this worked) is: Pittsburgh Paints says 100% Acrylic formula, Ultra Exterior Latex
Cleanup is water.

Hope this helps, I'm  still confused. Oh I painted it 5-6ish Sat evening. Put on sealer roughly 3-4 Sunday afternoon. So almost 24 hrs.
Sorry about the lack of images

thx
You might try a fixative.  It is designed for this type of work.  But test first.

[Image: 61H9JFbsBGL._SL1500_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.