how useful is a cordless circular saw
(04-09-2019, 09:39 PM)EricU Wrote: I have the 18v version and have never used it, ...

Pretty much answers the question.

Yes
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I have an 14.4v DeWalt drill/saw combo I bought when the sale price for the combo was $100 more than two batteries for the other drill I had. My circ. saw is a corded Mag77 Skilsaw. Handling the combo hard case was more difficult than handling the Mag77 in a bag. The much lighter DeWalt was nice, but the short battery life(recharge took an hour per battery) meant the DeWalt was only useful for short use jobs. I eventually just stopped carrying it when the drill wore out.

I now have a 20v Dewalt drill, which has much better battery life. But, no longer have any need for the companion circ. saw.
I have the 20v max brushless circ. saw. There is no comparison between it and the obsolete ni-cad versions.

Performance is so close to corded it ain't funny....

Buy it, you'll be looking for a reason to use it.

Ed
I have the DeWalt 18V version. Don't hesitate for a minute to grab it.

I'm sure I would love the 20v version even more, but I don't use it enough to justify it. Get along fine with the 18V version.

The OP's 18V saw will cut just a fine as the new 20V saw. Just not as fast or for as long (pending battery change).

Nothing to knock about cordless saws. If I need to rip treated plywood all day long .......... well, that's why I have a worm drive saw too.
OP, you don't need a new cordless saw if you don't use the one you already have.  But give that one have a try.  You might be surprised how useful it is.  I built a 14 x 18 ft shed last Summer.  My cordless circular saw proved it's worth every day.   

John
I had the 14.4 and the 18v nicad saws, neither performed very well so I rarely used them. The lower blade speed kinda chewed through rather than cut. The 20v brushless is not really in that same class. It works far better, has much faster blade speed so it cuts smoother, you can use it for most any job. Lithium powered tools with brushless motors can barely be compared to the old nicad tools.

You could buy the 20v battery adapter and try the new lithium batteries on your old 18v saw. It won't be as good as the brushless version but it will definitely give it a boost in performance.

The 60v Flexvolt brushless saw is really incredible, it's like a corded saw without the cord. Haven't used the corded saw since I got it.
Don't know if the 2 v will make a difference to buy a new tool.  (can't believe I just said that).  I have a sears 19.2 and use it to break down plywood in the driveway.  I do use it when I don't feel like taking out the extension cord.  I tried using it on 1.5 oak - not good for that.
(04-09-2019, 09:39 PM)EricU Wrote: Lowes has a pretty decent price on the tool only version of the Dewalt 20v max brushless circular saw.  I always thought it would be nice to be able to cut things out in the yard or even in the parking lot at one of the Borgs.  But I'm not sure it's quite worth $130 to me.  I have the 18v version and have never used it, but I'm sure the 20v brushless is a much nicer saw

Back when I had and 18v nicad battery saw it was only useful for breaking down a panel before lugging it in the shop... the battery would die too fast to last.

Now that I have the newer 20v Li-Ion battery saw, I use it for everything and very seldom take out the corded saw.  I just framed and sheathed a new garage and only used the cordless saw.  It's amazing.
WoodNET... the new safespace
yeah, I never bothered to use my 18v saw because I really didn't want to kill the batteries. I used the 18v reciprocal saw a lot, but it was hard on batteries. And the 18v circular saw is a cheap looking thing.  The new 20v brushless are much more solid. A lot of times it takes more effort and time to set up the power cord than actually cutting.
Lowes just sent me a $5 coupon, so I decided to go buy a saw.  Fine print says it doesn't work with the military discount, so I guess I won't be using the coupon.  Still probably going to buy a saw though.