Snow blower wheel problem
My wife was using the snow blower and said the right hand wheel is trying to come off. It turns out the bolt holding it on came off or broke. The problem is there seems to be a plastic shim that has worked its way out toward the end. It covers the bolt holes so obviously it should be inside farther. It was slightly proud of the her and it was easy to tap it in that far. Problem is I can't get it in any further. It also won't come out. Any suggestions?

Could it be the "shim" has a hole in it, but rotated and that's why it is covering the hole?
If you need to drive it in further, see if a socket will fit just inside the metal hub. As Daddo said the plastic bushing could have turned. If that is the case just drill another hole in the plastic bushing. On my Honda the drive wheels inside the track are shear pin type bolts that hold the wheel to the axle.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
There is no hole in the shim. I have thought about drilling a hole in it but the wheel is so small I can't get a drill in there.
Drill through the bolt hole from the outside? What am I missing?

(02-05-2021, 07:35 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: There is no hole in the shim. I have thought about drilling a hole in it but the wheel is so small I can't get a drill in there.

If you slide the wheel off the axle will the shim go in from the backside ?  What brand and model of snowblower is it ?   Roly
Find or grind a flat steel washer to just slip into the bore of the hub. A larger washer on the backside, a long bolt or piece of all thread rod and a nut or 2 and you can pull that plastic sleeve until it’s flush with the back end of the bore
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Looking even closer there is a shim on the backside also so slipping something that just fits in the back side wouldn't work. I found some scrap 1/2" dowel laying around. I could catch the shim from the back side and go once around the shim. The end of the dowel was then too chewed up to catch again so I just trimmed a little to give a fresh sharp edge. It took about 15-20 min but it finally came out. I cleaned up the inside of the hub and noticed a burr on the inside edges of the bolt holes. I am betting that is what was making it so difficult. I took a file to the burrs and wiped some grease inside and on the outside of the shim. It was snug going back in but the dowel from the outside easily pushed it back in. This one has dual wheels with chains on the outside wheels. So of course the wheel wouldn't go on far enough with the chains on. They are not quite as tight as when I took them off but they are wedge hard between the tires.
Have you checked your manual for an exploded view to see what you actually have? If no manual you can probably go online and find a view of it. It should show you what that part actually looks like and how it fits.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
If the V-belt is misadjusted the snow blower wheels won't
turn. First of all check the belt to determine if URL DELETED is broken or
worn out, and make sure that the belt is properly adjusted. If the V-belt is
broken or worn out, replace it.