Finishing Touches
I have been working with copper, hand tooling , annealing etc.
A process I show here is etching copper using a saltwater bath and 3volts dc.
 Not as toxic as the use of other harsh chemicals but will require proper disposal.  
 I don't show the entire process ,  but, you'll  get the picture 
and maybe give it a go...  Photographs  come out very nice on copper using this process.
The smallest detail will come though.  
Adds a nice touch to any wood project.  

Setup and process takes a bit of time and  involves baking and mixing cornstarch
( dextrin solution for the masking paper ) ,  laser printing ( to make the mask ) 
ironing ( for the mask transfer to the copper )

It's  unique and some may find it  useful.

Be safe

While the effect is etch-like the actual process is reverse electro-plating.  The salt makes the water function as a conductor of electricity.  A purpose made electrolyte would probably make for faster results. 

The effect is very nice, and except for the pickling process, very safe. 

Most of this stuff is sold in 55 gallon barrels.  Eastwood sells in in small quantities.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-electr...gLSW_D_BwE

[Image: _p_1_p10049zb.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-21-2021, 07:46 AM)Cooler Wrote: While the effect is etch-like the actual process is reverse electro-plating. 
The effect is very nice, and except for the pickling process, very safe. 
I understand what you mean , kinda sorta
Plating is different than the etching process I described. 
the salt was easy enough. 
less toxic too. The pickle process is not the issue as much
as the residue left from the etched copper ( copper chloride )
but , it can be dried and stored or disposed of in a much cleaner
way than the liquid product your describe.  
Any unused kosher salt water is easy enough dump or store.
All is likely seldom used in wood projects , but
every once in a while the uniqueness for trim piece or a signature plate -  
heirloom cabinet or the like
Just a thought. thats all.. 

All quite boring to most woodpeckers  I'd bet ..

The end
Smile

Be safe
Conventional plating has a positive charge on the anode, and a negative charge on the component to be plated.  The electrolyte allows the water to be electrically conductive.

When the power is turned on the electricity travel from the positive anode to the negatively charged component carrying along the way molecules of metal that gets deposited on the part. 

If you reverse the polarity the surface of the component starts losing the molecules.  That is the process used in electropolishing stainless steel.  It removes the top surface of the stainless steel revealing a 100% virgin layer of stainless steel.

That is what it appears you are doing with the copper.  You have a resist applied to protect part of the copper which appears "raised" as the exposed areas are removed electrolytically. 

Etching, on the other hand involves no electricity and uses a strong acid to remove material not protected by the resist.  As you mentioned, handling that strong acid is risky compared to the reverse plating process. 

I was not knocking the process, I was only trying to put the proper name on it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-22-2021, 08:28 AM)Cooler Wrote:
Quote:I was not knocking the process, I was only trying to put the proper name on it.

I did not think that  - 
Smile

Thanks for the input. 

Take care