Japanese Chisel Expectations vs Reality
Only if you want to be scorned and scoffed at. Pants legs -- just so yesterday. Cicada wings are IT.
L.M.F.A. O...........
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
So just an update. I've had a couple of emails from the vendor. Unfortunately nothing has come of it. Despite obvious flaws in the lamination line of the Tasai chisels, and defective mortise chisels due to the sides not ground square and chips to the cutting edge, as well as lesser issues of handles not being put on straight, etc. they are only offering me a credit and I still need to pay shipping and handling fees.

So unfortunately I'll have to reveal that the shop is "Kurashige tools" https://www.shop.kurashige-tools.com/

I'd initially thought I'd stumbled upon a good source for older chisels from a selection of smiths, but it would seem from what I can tell that they likely stock a range of seconds or slightly faulty goods. Out of the few items I'd bought, half of them had obvious problems and were either slightly or completely defective. Beware.
(07-20-2021, 03:06 AM)doobiesim Wrote: So just an update. I've had a couple of emails from the vendor. Unfortunately nothing has come of it. Despite obvious flaws in the lamination line of the Tasai chisels, and defective mortise chisels due to the sides not ground square and chips to the cutting edge, as well as lesser issues of handles not being put on straight, etc. they are only offering me a credit and I still need to pay shipping and handling fees.

So unfortunately I'll have to reveal that the shop is "Kurashige tools" https://www.shop.kurashige-tools.com/

I'd initially thought I'd stumbled upon a good source for older chisels from a selection of smiths, but it would seem from what I can tell that they likely stock a range of seconds or slightly faulty goods. Out of the few items I'd bought, half of them had obvious problems and were either slightly or completely defective. Beware.

Thanks for the update.  Obviously, we much rather hear about excellent customer service, like the numerous stories about Lee Valley, but it helpful to know who to avoid as well.
I'm not too familiar with Japanese tools but I'm very familiar with Japanese culture, having being there multiple times and purchased many kitchen knives, etc. Normally their service is absolutely exceptional and will do everything to please the customer. Quality in just about everything is almost always top notch. Even at a budget level, they have a way of engineering their products in a way that always puts performance first. It's a real shame that this hasn't been the case this time.
(07-20-2021, 03:06 AM)doobiesim Wrote: So just an update. I've had a couple of emails from the vendor. Unfortunately nothing has come of it. Despite obvious flaws in the lamination line of the Tasai chisels, and defective mortise chisels due to the sides not ground square and chips to the cutting edge, as well as lesser issues of handles not being put on straight, etc. they are only offering me a credit and I still need to pay shipping and handling fees.

That's disappointing. If you haven't given up on Japanese tools, but just want ones that aren't... words I can't print here... there are better, more reliable sources. Unfortunately, Woodnet's own Stu Tierney is out of the business. I bought a few Koyamaishi chisels from him and they are brilliant. I have had very good experience with Suziki-Ya. Suzuki is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I bought an Ouichi dovetail chisel and I forget what else from her, quality was top notch. I bought a few saws from Hida Tools, had good luck with them, but no first hand experience with their chisels. They sell Fujihiro, which are very well thought of. If you want something high end, there is always Stan Covington. That will mean some serious pocket change and a long wait though.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Some of the earlier posts speculating on ageing smiths may be spot on. The vendor has actually told me that some of the more in-demand smiths are so rushed and pushed to produce more, that they are starting to lose quality due to the amount they're working. Seems to be probably a combination of work rate and age all piling up.

Sorry to hear about your experience. FWIW, I think that your experience is related to the vendor you went with, and not a reflection of Japanese tools in general. The vast majority of my Japanese chisels are Fujihiros, and I've had none of the issues you describe in your original post.

You've already been given a list of Japanese tool sellers with a much better reputation. I can attest to Suzuki Tools and Hida Tool, having purchased tools from both of these vendors.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
(07-21-2021, 03:17 AM)doobiesim Wrote: Some of the earlier posts speculating on ageing smiths may be spot on. The vendor has actually told me that some of the more in-demand smiths are so rushed and pushed to produce more, that they are starting to lose quality due to the amount they're working. Seems to be probably a combination of work rate and age all piling up.

Be that as it may, that is no excuse for the poor quality tools you received from your vendor. It sounds to me like your vendor is making excuses and stalling to avoid exchanging your chisels or refunding your money. Somebody earlier suggested that you may have stumbled onto a vendor who is selling seconds (defective tools) from the makers and representing them as first quality merchandise. I hope that is not the case, but it may be the explanation for the poor service you have experienced. I do hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.
If you continue to get no joy from the Seller, mention that you are preparing a review of web sellers for publication to several websites and a magazine, and that you are just waiting for the replacements before finalising the article.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com