Workbench buy/make/hybrid advice
(08-21-2021, 09:34 AM)djcook50 Wrote: I’ve been using this Grizzly (ShopFox) workbench frame with a maple top from Woodcraft for about 15 years.  It has worked great.  I put a base cabinet in it with drawers.  The cabinet top serves as a shelf under the main top for tools, sandpaper bits, etc.  I mounted a woodworking vise and drilled holes in the top.  It has served me well,  it’s heavy, has adjustable feet, doesn’t budge when handplaning and got me going on other things I wanted to make.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fo...stem/d2910

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'll definitely consider this as one of my options.
(08-20-2021, 12:58 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The legs must not be attached to the top just by themselves as they won't be strong enough to resist racking.

This is a better structure (under $300):

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gladiator-Modul...1000341801

Simon

If you look at the legs there is a lower cross brace for a bottom shelf and it is drilled in the front and back for plywood which will give it the lateral stability you are worried about.  I used peg board on the back  and that worked dual purposes offering the stability as well as additional storage.  This is not the same as the one I have.  It appears to have holes stamped for 110 volt wall outlets.

[Image: 51jY9xJEIdL._AC_SS450_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Since you posted this in the Woodworking and not the Hand Tools Forum, I'm guessing you're not using the bench primarily in a hand tool environment. Also, if you've been working wood for 50 years, you're at least my age, if not older. My back ain't what it used to me, and I get tired quicker than when i was younger. I would go the hybrid approach. Get the guy to build you a basic table and go with your current plan. Flattening the top is easy enough if you build a router sled or with hand tools. If there's a cabinet shop near you, you may also consider having the guy build just the table top, and take it to the cabinet shop and have them plane it flat. Many cabinet shops will do that for you for a nominal fee - or maybe even for free.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Lots of great ideas here as well as options. Many years ago I built the European workbench featured in Woodsmith #50. I used salvaged lumber at the time (wouldn't recommend this - that was then, this is now). It has served me well for my purposes; it was a lot of work but I enjoyed it at the time.

When it was current I never missed an episode of the New Yankee Workshop. I always thought Norm Abram was quite the craftsman and a great "storyteller", i.e. he has a very nice teaching style IMO.

Here is a very basic workbench that was the subject of one of his shows (the video is pretty detailed). Hopefully you will get some ideas or if you like it, even have your friend build a version of it for you.

Good luck,

Doug
Thanks, Doug. I'll check it out.

(08-29-2021, 07:19 AM)Tapper Wrote: Lots of great ideas here as well as options. Many years ago I built the European workbench featured in Woodsmith #50. I used salvaged lumber at the time (wouldn't recommend this - that was then, this is now). It has served me well for my purposes; it was a lot of work but I enjoyed it at the time.

When it was current I never missed an episode of the New Yankee Workshop. I always thought Norm Abram was quite the craftsman and a great "storyteller", i.e. he has a very nice teaching style IMO.

Here is a very basic workbench that was the subject of one of his shows (the video is pretty detailed). Hopefully you will get some ideas or if you like it, even have your friend build a version of it for you.

Good luck,

Doug
I am of the persuasion that making your bench is the way to go.

After completing mine I realize that it is a daunting task, but, there is nothing like standing by and working at a bench that you made.

Very satisfying and rewarding.
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I can't help much with the whole bench, but I have been struggling with hand tool work that I've recently begun doing more of on my assembly table.

Watched this video today and will be building it soon as a solid work around until I build a proper bench.

https://youtu.be/hQGK6pdMo_A
Semper fi,
Brad

Just curious what OP decided to do?  Did you build your own bench or have one made?

Cheers,
Dave
(08-15-2021, 11:01 AM)tedrussell Wrote: Long intro:
I'm not a newbie - I've been making things out of wood for about 50 years, from barns and sheds to little jewelry boxes to all kinds of accessories for my live-in handweaver
Smile . I'm also nowhere near a pro. I've always been a cheapie with tools (my table saw is my father in law's 1951 Shopsmith - yep, you read that right). I don't have unlimited space in my basement workshop. 

I decided I'm old enough to starting doing a few things the right way, starting with a real woodworker's bench. I'm still too cheap to buy a $3,500 Lie Nielsen bench, or even a $2,300 Sjoberg Elite 1500, but I've educated myself enough to know what they offer. I have the skills, but not the desire to dedicate a week full time to make a bench myself, so I'm considering a hybrid option:

My plan:
I just found a guy in town who makes hardwood benches (for homeowners, not workshops) for a decent price. (Example: a 16”tall x 29.5 long x 15. deep "hand crafted farmhouse bench" for $225.)

I'm planning to provide him with some specs to make a basic bench about the size and weight of a Sjoberg Elite 1500. I'll then add some vises, dog holes, and a storage shelf underneath. I know one issue is flatness. 

Any other things I should consider?  Am I going down the wrong path here?
35 years ago I bough a mid-range Sjoberg bench, it has some nice features, and two vices. It has served me well but was never as stable as I would like, and not quite tall enough. About 20 years ago I built a second bench with 2 1/2" thick maple top, Lee Valley twin-screw vice, mortise and tenon joinery with draw-bolts, five rows of dog holes, and dog holes alone a long edge, a shelf beneath the top and four drawers under one end. I added some material beneath the legs of the Sjoberg bench to bring it up to the same height as the new bench and bolted the two together back-to-back. The new bench took me weeks to complete, but I enjoyed the time building it and really enjoy working with it. With the two benches combined, I have a total of three vices of various styles. After 20 years with the new bench I can't think of anything I'd do differently if I were building it today.