portable spraying booth
My shop is only 700 SF. I know that might seem large compared to some shops but it doesn't really leave much room to spray poly, etc. w/o getting it on tools etc. What do some of you do in similar cases?

Jim
Jim
I have a pole barn I spray in with oil based stuff....if the weather is warm enough. In the shop I have a rack fasten to the ceiling made of 1/2" EMT. I hang sheets of plastic from it that drape to the floor (10' ceiling). The frame is roughly 10'x10' across. In the pic, you might see 2 ceiling lights with chains, they aren't normally on unless I have the plastic up. Those little red dots on the back rail are cheap HF spring clamps which I use to hold the plastic in place on the EMT. This is actually the storage room of my shop (20x32) just in case I do spray oil anything in there...so it won't get on my tools.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I use a pretty low tech temporary spray booth in my shop which is no larger than yours.  

[Image: AM-JKLW_s9arhpCqPkI5AG9iTrQm218MM8sj7rwY...authuser=0]

It's just 6 mil plastic hung over nails in the floor joists, and Kraft paper on the floor.  However, one key aspect of any spray booth, besides adequate lighting, is exhaust.  You don't want to be spraying inside w/o exhaust, even with waterbornes.  WBs have stuff you don't want to breath, plus there's the issue of overspray that will fall back on your freshly sprayed surface.  I use the fan from my DC as the exhaust fan for my spray booth and vent it out a nearby window.  Another window across the shop lets in fresh makeup air.  This setup works Summer or Winter w/o issue.  

[Image: AM-JKLW9etV0DoG9KMzBHqlZeqe6QIT1X4bzsBUY...authuser=0]

[Image: AM-JKLVs7JXylH2iCavM24zdfclLbOqGfA02SsZt...authuser=0]

When I'm done spraying the "booth" folds up and I have my shop back.

[Image: AM-JKLWzSZkDqkpOlSbsp4tWot4PGjVgf0AAnu3F...authuser=0]

John
John has post6ed some informative pics. above. I would like to see a couple more ideas on the exhaust systems. I have an idea but would like some more thoughtful solutions.

BTW John thanks for your help. I don't have rafters to clip the plastic on. So I hung 1 1/4" corner bead aluminum strips on the drywall ceiling. I think that's be strong enough. I'll post some pics later.

Jim
Jim