Started Christmas gifts
I bought some key ring kits, the bushings and some blanks for making Xmas gifts. The stars and stripe kits from PSI are brittle. I get about half way down and they shatter. I raised my tool rest and lowered my handle to make sure the bevel was in play. I got farther using my old carbide tools than my good stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Make sure the blank is well-glued to the tube. If you are using carbide tipped tools, raise the handle and lower the tip so that it is cutting at or just below the centerline on the blank. there is much less of a chance of shattering anything. I have a large tool that has a cutter that's about 1/2" wide. I will sometimes roll it to an angle to produce more of a shearing cut for something tricky. You know you are doing it right with acrylic or polycrylic if the cutting comes off in a continuous ribbon. When I'm on my game I can turn a blank almost completely and it's that continuous ribbon.

Also depending on how good you are with one, a skew or straight chisel will help. I am ok with one, not great especially on small stuff.

Not all of their blanks are that bad but some are.  Me all I do it turn up the rpm and take my sharp detail gouge and small bits until it is round.  You can also take the blank to a belt sander to round off the corners abit but I have never had to do it yet.  

It all depends on how you use the tool to the blank.  I go from the side and go inward to knock off the corners and then sharpen the gouge again and finish it off with just a bit left to sand to the desired thickness which goes fast
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
girl friend requested a new spanking paddle made of wood  so i could spank her back side when she is bad

New user, perhaps a spammer, who's posts are being moderated.