Cabinet scraper advice?
Aram,

Woodcraft sells a card scraper holder made of wood that is pretty inexpensive. I own one and it does work. It may not be too hard to make something to do the same thing.

TonyC
IMO a cabinet scraper is better for evening out glue lines. You can pick up a Stanley 81 pretty cheap, or go with the Veritas 80 which is a very nice tool.

I have both, and they both have their applications. I tend to use the 81 for rough stuff like glue removal. I like the 80 on large surfaces.

I don't use one, but you can buy a card holder which you can adjust the bend much easier on hands.
I have the Stanley No. 80.....OEM Iron with the SW in a heart....all turned up.    Was using it on Ash for that tool chest build....works quite well, for being 100 years old...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have double jointed thumbs so get a lot of ache and fatigue. I looked into getting a cabinet scraper #80 or scraper plane #112 but made my own card scraper holder to use in the interim. Works pretty well and I forgot about looking for another option.

Photo 
I have a couple of the scrapers sold by Stewmac.  Stewmac is a company that mostly serves guitar luthiers.  They have a very thick (like maybe 1/4") scraper that you prep with a grinder to raise the burr on both sides of the edge.  It's made of tool steel and the burr lasts a VERY long time.  They have different shapes (square and rounded).  For glue lines on panel glue-ups or leveling out tearout, I don't think it can be matched.  Not cheap ($44 for their regular sized scraper), but to me, it was well worth the price.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-an...e-scraper/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-06-2021, 09:45 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I tend to use the 81 for rough stuff like glue removal.

Interesting, because Stanley marketed the 81 as "for the finest work."
(12-04-2021, 01:35 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a big stack of card scrapers. I use them to clean up glue lines, smooth out small divots from my machines, and occasionally to make two slightly different heights flush, if a block plane won't do. Typically, I would use thumb pressure to get a small bend. My hands are getting weaker, and it is getting about impossible for me to use them any more. I can still dress an edge.

I have a scraper plane, but that is a different animal, and not necessarily the best for all of those tasks. So I was thinking of getting a cabinet scraper, which (I think) will cover *some* of those uses.

Good idea? If yes, which one? Lee Valley looks nice, though sole seems rather long front to back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

I made a holder for an elderly lady that was an avid wood worker.  Her scrapers were 3" long. The holder was aluminum 4" long by 3/8" thick and 3/8" wide. 
I drilled and tapped 10/24 x 1/2" long allen head cap screws 5/16" from each end. Then drilled a thru hole at each end for the screws in a piece of 1/16" x 3/8"x4"  scrap of steel. Almost and metal for this would do, I had the steel on hand. 
To use the scraper the center had a shim about 3/8" x 3/8" x about 1/8" thick. The steel was snugged up with the card scraper between the aluminum holder and the steel  band . The bend was made by tightening the screws evenly with the scraper in place against the shim.
I even made an allen wrench holder for her so tightening would be easier. Just added a steel handle that was bored for the allen wrench.
Martha taught me how to use and sharpen a scraper many years ago. She taught me much more in the years I knew her. Met when I replaced an entry door to her shop. She is gone now, but not forgotten.
mike
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I should have bought this years ago.

[Image: i-P6dMn8p-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-05-2021, 02:34 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks, all. I picked up an 80M off eBay. At some point, I'll might it my woodworking buddy and go for the Veritas. Appreciate the advice.

Well done

I used an 80m that a friend let me borrow and it was really really nice to use, easy on the hands and makes some very nice shavings which I gave to my wife to start the wood stove with.

It was with a huge sigh when I had to give it back.  
Crazy   It was the right thing to do but I was wondering if I held on to it long enough he might forget.  
Big Grin
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.