How To secure dust catcher liner?
R Clark, Thanks for sending me the link to this thread!  I can't believe I missed this one.

Yesterday, I just lived through the mess of having to clean out my wynn filter and dust deputy cyclone (yes, even the cyclone had trapped shavings at the bottom) after losing track of how high the shavings built up inside the drum.  What a disaster.  That is about the third time I have had to do that, and last time it happened, I swore it would never happen again.

It seems that when I take light passes on the jointer or planer, the shavings are light and fluffy, and the level builds quickly in the drum.

My drum is a plastic barrel that I bought on Amazon.  It came with a lid that seals nicely to the drum, and I don't fasten the lid down during use because it gets sucked down securely on its own.

I have been thinking about using a plastic liner for some time, but I was afraid of having the bag sucked into the impeller.  Pulling a bag out of the drum would be infinitely easier and less messy than my usual process of dragging the drum outside and dumping it into a bigger drum.  Because it is so much easier than emptying, I won't be tempted to push the envelope and run just one more board!

My plan is to buy another one of those drums, and cut out the bottom and cut off the handles on the sides.  It should then fit snugly inside the original barrel.  I will throw a heavy disk in the bottom to weigh down the bottom of the bag, as an added precaution.  I will fold the top of the bag over the top rim of the liner to maintain the seal of the lid with the outer drum.

If anyone has any words of caution to my plan, I am glad to hear it.
Steve
I guess to me the weight on the bottom of the bag just wouldn't be that handy...you would have to dig it out before disposing of the bag of dust. Even with the plastic liner (my post above, and others) I find it some work to pull that thing out of the bag before I pull the bag from the drum. My dust goes out with the trash, I guess if you just take the bag and empty it somewhere, recovering the weight disk wouldn't be much of a problem. If you want some weight and are using a liner, consider the sawdust trick mentioned above.....put a small bucket of it in the drum before you button it up. BTW, I lost track of how full the dust bin was twice now. Like you I do not ever, ever, want that to happen again.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That original drum I bought at Amazon is a little more expensive than I remember.  I might try to make a liner from a sheet vinyl flooring remnant.  I should be able to find some at the Habitat Restore.  Any ideas on whether that will be stiff enough to prevent collapse?
Steve
I have filled 6- 55 gallon trash can liner in the passed couple days. My wife had some 1/4" fairly stiff foam sheeting material I cut to size and use in the barrel liner. It keeps the liner against the sides of the drum and pushed down against the bottom. The foam retainer is easy to remove and insert into the barrel. To make the full liner easy to remove when full I insert a piece of 2" PVC pipe between the liner and barrel. Lift slowly and it takes about 15 seconds to remove. I tie the liner before removing so there is little mess. The vinyl flooring would probly work as long as you do not cut the liner inserting it, duct tape is your friend. I will still keep my eyes open for something that would hold the liner in the barrel better, but the 1/4" foam works for now.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(01-16-2022, 03:33 PM)arnman Wrote: That original drum I bought at Amazon is a little more expensive than I remember.  I might try to make a liner from a sheet vinyl flooring remnant.  I should be able to find some at the Habitat Restore.  Any ideas on whether that will be stiff enough to prevent collapse?

My guess (and it is a guess) is that it will be stiff enough, but try to butt the edges together to lkeep it from collapsing in the drum. I like LM's idea of using the pipe to provide a little space between the liner and the drum.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-16-2022, 03:33 PM)arnman Wrote: That original drum I bought at Amazon is a little more expensive than I remember.  I might try to make a liner from a sheet vinyl flooring remnant.  I should be able to find some at the Habitat Restore.  Any ideas on whether that will be stiff enough to prevent collapse?

Some of the sheet vinyl flooring types are stiffer than others. Some that we have put down are so flexible that they would buckle if rolled into a large cylinder. When you are checking out the remnants, the ones that are stiff enough should be fairly obvious.

Do round the lower corners and watch out for sharp points on the lower edge to avoid cutting the liner.

It would probably be a good idea to put the bottom of the flooring towards the center of the barrel.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
An up date. The 1/4" foam did not work. The foam was not stiff enough. I found a 1/16" stiff plastic sheet 48 x 96 for $16 @ HD. I cut it down to size and used Gorilla Tape on all the edges and taped it to the correct diameter over lapping the ends. Put the cylinder tube into the trash can liner then into the 55 gal barrel. The liners I have are quite long so I cut them dowm to about 8" longer than the barrel is tall. Fold the extra liner over the edge for the 1/16" sheeting and into the barrel. I have now filled 5 barrels with out a problem. I tried the liner installed several ways this works the best for me.

24- year cancer survivor
Do you find it a struggle to get the liner out of the bag? I may go look for some of the same stuff for mine.
Don't put the liner in the bag, put the bag in the liner. Then use a clothespin or something to attach the bottom of the bag to the liner. This works to keep the bag from being sucked into the DC, and lets you tie the bag shut before you remove it.

I've been doing that for years. It works.
I haven't tried the cloths pin idea. The plastic sheeting slides out of the barrel, trash can liner very easy. I slide the " plastic holder" out of the trash can liner before removing the full trash can liner out of the barrel. With the 55 gal barrel I tie the top off and tip the barrel on it's side. Then insert a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe  between the liner and steel barrel. The barrel I have has a bung hole on the side near the bottom I will try to remove it the next time instead of the piece of pipe. The plastic sheeting is called "Plas-Tex" waterproof wall panel .060" x 4' x 8' Bright white.

24- year cancer survivor