Kaizen foam, metal tools, and rust?
Nearly every aviation mechanic's toolbox has tools surrounded by foam and I've never heard of rust issues. Maintenance hangars are not always climate controlled. I work in the aerospace industry. Tools all have very specific places. That's important because we inventory tools at the end of every work shift. A missing tool could mean it's lost inside the the aircraft or missile or whatever he's working on and that's never a good thing. So, every tool that's withdrawn is replaced with a "chit" that is a tag that relates the withdrawn tool to the mechanic who's using it. If there's a missing tool, we know who used it last and it's the mechanic's responsibility to find the tool and replace it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There may be a problem with just bare wood.....woods that have Tannic Acid in them ( Looking at you, Mr. Oak) have a nasty habit of reacting to iron products...BTDT, learned my lesson.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-15-2022, 10:48 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There may be a problem with just bare wood.....woods that have Tannic Acid in them ( Looking at you, Mr. Oak) have a nasty habit of reacting to iron products...BTDT, learned my lesson.

A lot of discussion about this among machinists. Gerstner made oak machinist chests which is a puzzler. I don’t have one, but pretty sure some drawers had felt lined steel bottoms. I think like all metal boxes, water vapor condenses on the cool steel on humid days. Pretty sure they felted the drawer sides to prevent contact with the oak.

When I made my machinists box, I used mahogany for the box, maple for the drawer sides and 1/8” plywood for the small drawer bottoms.

I guess my point is, it’s good to think about all this. Maybe for pros handling their tools every day, oilling them, wiping them etc, rust isn’t a big issue. Their boxes are for accessibility more than storage. For part timers, storage is a bigger concern that may require different solutions.