Tablesaw question
(01-18-2022, 04:37 PM)meackerman Wrote: Had a Unisaw since I bought one new in 1995. Smile every time I turn it on. Probably the last tablesaw I'll buy.

when someone comes out with a table saw that prevents kickbacks, that's when I'm really interested in upgrading.

The first sentence was true for so many mnay who bought a ss after an incident.

The closest thing one can get today to avoid (minimize?) kickback is the clear cut guide by a Canadian merchant (name escaping me for now).

Simon
(01-18-2022, 04:37 PM)meackerman Wrote: Had a Unisaw since I bought one new in 1995. Smile every time I turn it on. Probably the last tablesaw I'll buy.

when someone comes out with a table saw that prevents kickbacks, that's when I'm really interested in upgrading.

The guard on your Unisaw likely had integrated anti kickback pawls.  Beyond that, there are several anti kickback devices available.  No need to wait for something new.  

John
(01-18-2022, 02:01 PM)messmaker Wrote: I hesitate to bring this up but I have read more than once that there has not been a recorded case of someone losing a finger when using a properly functioning blade guard. This may or not be true, but if it is open for discussion, why is this not part of the conversation? I know you can not use a blade guard for all cuts, but for a great many you can. I have only used a Sawstop on a few occasions but the ones I used had an override function for the safety system in case you were working with wet lumber. This seems similar to working without a net, as you do with all other saws. You guys may have me convinced that a Sawstop is the only reasonable route to go. 10 amputations per day scares the hell out of me. I am a guy who likes to weigh my options and I am hearing that the smart money says I have but one choice.  I am going to have to think about it.

Can't speak for the others here, but I have no intent to "scare" you, only to offer opinions based on factual information. As John has already said, there are probably instances where users have been seriously injured even with the blade guard on. Not nearly as likely, but it can happen. 

Correct, that you can bypass the safety feature on a Sawstop tablesaw. Because of the material you're cutting, you choose to bypass the safety device to avoid tripping the device erroneously. When I do this on my PCS, of course I'm overly careful when making the cut. So yes, there is still the chance of an accident when the safety device is purposely turned off, but not nearly as much as if you never have it. 

Again, it's the only saw that absolutely prevents catastrophic injuries on a tablesaw when the safety device is engaged.

Good luck in whatever you choose,

Doug
(01-18-2022, 08:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The guard on your Unisaw likely had integrated anti kickback pawls.  Beyond that, there are several anti kickback devices available.  No need to wait for something new.  

John

the two times I've had kickback, the pawls wouldn't have helped.....cross cutting a panel using the fence (narrow side of the panel against the fence) that I should have been using a sliding table or something else than just the fence. panel rotated during the cut and then it was gone.

both times were complete operator error, doing something I knew was wrong...the little voice in my head said this is stupid....but its just one cut.  And BAM! back comes the piece of wood.  

Certainly not something the Saw Stop, or any saw would have prevented.

Ripping wood, I've never had a problem with kickback.

So I guess I'm really looking for a saw that won't start when the operator is about to do something stupid.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

So I guess I'm really looking for a saw that won't start when the operator is about to do something stupid.

Haha. The saw would be called a BrainStop.

Simon