Clearing drain pipes in pond
So we have a pond on our property that can be a source of pleasure because of the wildlife it attracts but can also be a pita and potentially destructive when the overflow drains aren’t working right and the banks overflow.
There are 2-6 inch corrugated plastic pipes to keep the water under control that flow into the ravine close by.
But right now they’re not keeping up.
We’ve had record rainfall and then a bunch of snow and then the melting snow but we think the lines are partially clogged up maybe due to a lot of clearing of growth around the pond this past summer and lots of extra debris.
Anyway…. Would a plumbers snake be effective in possibly clearing the pipes? I suspect the obstruction is about 50 feet from the opening where I think the pipes make a downward turn into the ravine.
We have a 1-1/2 hi pressure pump that I’ve fed down the pipes and tried to use to blast anything out but it hasn’t made much difference.
Right now the openings of the drain lines are about a foot under water and it makes it difficult/hazardous to face the drain openings.
Appreciate any input.
Thanks!
I would rent an inspection camera to see exactly what you are dealing with.  Could be roots, rocks, whatever.  My brother has a farm pond with a drain that is clogged.  He made several failed attempts to clear it.  Last month he  had a friend who had a camera come over, they found rocks jammed in the drain.  I think at some point he's going to have to put in a new drain.

Could you run something from the open end all the way thru with something attached to the end that you could pull thru? Kind of like using a sewer snake in reverse? I know it won't work if you can't get something thru though.

Just a suggestion.
(01-16-2022, 08:51 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Could you run something from the open end all the way thru with something attached to the end that you could pull thru?  Kind of like using a sewer snake in reverse?  I know it won't work if you can't get something thru though.

Just a suggestion.

Same thought I had.  The City I live in does that with sewer mains fairly often as access is easy and the back pressure from the water weight is likely to refill the back end with more trash
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-16-2022, 08:51 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Could you run something from the open end all the way thru with something attached to the end that you could pull thru?  Kind of like using a sewer snake in reverse?  I know it won't work if you can't get something thru though.

Just a suggestion.

It’s a good one, but I might suggest using a jet rodder.  Cities use them for clearing drainage sewers.  They have a high pressure hose with nozzle that redirects the water 180 degrees, for dislodging debris (mostly sand and mud) and blowing it backwards.  The rear facing jet stream pulls the hose through the pipe, so the machine does most of the work.  

You work it from the downstream side to dislodge a bunch of crap, then pull it out to flush it downstream, go back in for another bite, rinse (literally), repeat, until it pops out in the upstream catch basin or manhole.  But those trucks also have the huge vacuum hose hanging off the front for sucking out catch basins.  

They make a smaller portable version.  Basically a pressure washer pump with long hose (like 200 ft) and appropriate nozzle.  Perhaps you could rent one of those.

The small one is good to 8” diameter, but I don’t know how much muscle is has.  There are larger trailer type jet machines that may be more suitable.

https://www.electriceel.com/products/ren...as-jetter/
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
While you're at the pond look the banks over and see if there's a place you could put an "overflow spillway" - a low grassy area would work since it will rarely see flowing water. When we made stock ponds on the farm we always did that and those ponds are still working today.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I was also wondering if I could snake something through with a hook like thing on the end and then pull it through.
No way for any big equipment as it’s very sensitive ground and very vulnerable to slides.
There actually is a spillway but we’d rather get the water further away .
I tried without success to post a couple pics. Maybe I need to resize
Thanks again for all the suggestions!
while we all used corrugated flexible drain pipes for years, they can easily clog & are difficult to clean out, most are now recommending smooth bore drain pipes.
for your pond circumstance I agree with the recommendation to use a surface contour spillway
I assume the drain pipe isn't straight so you can't just take a length of 1" diameter pipe or something and shove it down the pipe, attach another length and keep going?

For the pressure washer cleanout suggested above, you can buy just the head if you already have a pressure washer.  My neighbor down the street has one.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

As previously suggested find someone with a jetrod. They are commonly used to clean field tile so asking any tile contractors is the place to start looking. Many tile contractors have a towable unit that can be put right at your outlet. They don't have to be the big suction trucks like pictured above.

I have cleaned field tiles many times with a jetrod. All sizes from 4" up to 20". The high pressure water will cut through just about anything, even a mass of hair roots.