painted wall looking more like crackling orange peel
Hoping for some insights.  We've painted plenty of walls in the past using basic Sherwin Williams or Lowes interior latex paints, never had any real problems. 
moved into a new house this summer (new to us, built in the 60s) and got to painting. some of the rooms had very faint/subtle cigarette odor and so on some of the walls, after cleaning them with some TSP and water, we used BIN Shellac based primer first. 

Anyway, we're finding now a couple months later, in more than a few spots (but not everywhere, and not everywhere even on a given wall) I think mostly in bathrooms (which are well vented) that the paint seems to be cracking.  One one ceiling a quarter size piece peeled off. Here's a closeup photo that shows exactly what I mean. Any thoughts on why this happened and how to fix and prevent it elsewhere? I was thinking that maybe we painted acrylic over oil based, but I'm not sure what the pre-existing coatings were or how to tell. Even if it were, wouldn't using the shellac in between solve for that?

thoughts?
Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Is is possible it was a previously wallpapered wall? If yes the paste was not adequately removed. Early in my DIY career I created what looks like exactly the same thing. I scraped the affected areas of the crackled paint, cleaned it really well, patched and repainted. IIRC it wasn't too difficult to remove.
(01-18-2022, 09:03 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Is is possible it was a previously wallpapered wall? If yes the paste was not adequately removed. Early in my DIY career I created what looks like exactly the same thing. I scraped the affected areas of the crackled paint, cleaned it really well, patched and repainted. IIRC it wasn't too difficult to remove.

I suppose it's possible. It was painted when we moved in. I don't recall seeing any crackling in the existing paint though.
What is the 'Good Until' date on the shellac? Shellac has a definite shelf life and can have problems when used past that date.
(01-18-2022, 10:16 AM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: What is the 'Good Until' date on the shellac? Shellac has a definite shelf life and can have problems when used past that date.

Not sure, but it was purchased at the same time as the paint.. I'll have to see if the can is still lying around.
(01-18-2022, 10:52 AM)mound Wrote: Not sure, but it was purchased at the same time as the paint.. I'll have to see if the can is still lying around.

You might want to check out Zinsser's Peel Stop Triple Thick primer as it is made to glue down the edges of the crack and the triple thick to reduce the alligatoring of the paint.
 I have not used it but it gets good reviews.  Roly
(01-18-2022, 10:52 AM)mound Wrote: Not sure, but it was purchased at the same time as the paint.. I'll have to see if the can is still lying around.

I found this situation once when I purchased a quart of Zinsser shellac in a can from HD. Should have paid attention to the layer of dust on the top----was three years past "Use By' date. Got me to buy flakes from then on.
I copied your pic and will send it to a friend who owns a painting company. Curious... why did you use TSP and water, we used BIN Shellac based primer first? Did you wash off the TSP with clean water before painting?

Also, why did you prime over the existing paint, was there a problem with the paint?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-19-2022, 05:12 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I copied your pic and will send it to a friend who owns a painting company. Curious... why did you use TSP and water, we used BIN Shellac based primer first? Did you wash off the TSP with clean water before painting?

Also, why did you prime over the existing paint, was there a problem with the paint?

Thanks!

Some rooms had a faint cigarette odor to them, thus cleaning and shellac primer.   LOML did the work, I believe she wiped the walls clean, she's pretty good like that and has painted lots of rooms and we've never seen this.
So I talked to my guy... Something is contaminated. He said the primer is fine but suspects the TSP. It acts like soap and can break down organic and some inorganic compounds. He thinks some was left on the walls and dried. Thinks it broke the adhesion of the primer which released the paint. If they have to wash walls, they use about 1 drop of dish soap in a quart of water using a spray bottle and rinse with clean water. Trying to work fast as to not damage the walls. His recommendation was to sand smooth the bad areas, trying not to damage the drywall paper. He'll use 80 grit on a ROS. Mix fast setting Hot drywall mud mixed thin and skim the area. Sand, PVA primer and repaint.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay