Photog - Miter Saw DC
Several years ago a member named "Photog" posted some pics of a pretty slick dust control system he had designed for his Dewalt 12" miter saw, using a "Big Gulp" collector. Can't seem to find it. Anyone help?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug, I think that's the one where the big gulp was on a pair of rods (all thread, as I recall) and it swiveled when making miter cuts...and it may have tilted with the bevel as well. I couldn't find it either, this one is close (but no banana). I remember I tried to do that with my Dewalt 10" but there was something different about it versus the 12" that stopped me.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-20-2022, 06:17 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Doug, I think that's the one where the big gulp was on a pair of rods (all thread, as I recall) and it swiveled when making miter cuts...and it may have tilted with the bevel as well. I couldn't find it either, this one is close (but no banana). I remember I tried to do that with my Dewalt 10" but there was something different about it versus the 12" that stopped me.

Doug,  if you don't do compound cuts regularly,  I suggest you consider somethnig along the lines of this  https://i.redd.it/sogd99iwyv241.jpg     The one I did is much smaller, and uses cardboard along the top, but it works well.  My concern with the big gulp is that unless your dust collection system is moving a ton of air, the boxes set pretty far back from the blade won't supply much suction.  Mine is hooked up to a shop vac and works pretty well, though I almost always use it for 90 degree cuts.
(01-20-2022, 01:08 AM)flightapisseo Wrote: flight api provider
Flightapis.com is the ideal objective to finish your flight API mix. Flight API is needed for online travel entries to get flight ticket access and arrangements that counts with single outing, full circle, multicity and gathering booking choices
DELETED LINK

SPAMMER DISPATCHED
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(01-20-2022, 06:17 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Doug, I think that's the one where the big gulp was on a pair of rods (all thread, as I recall) and it swiveled when making miter cuts...and it may have tilted with the bevel as well. I couldn't find it either, this one is close (but no banana). I remember I tried to do that with my Dewalt 10" but there was something different about it versus the 12" that stopped me.

Hi Fred,

That one looks very similar to the one Photog posted - thanks for the pic. I'll keep it as an option.

Doug
(01-20-2022, 07:00 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Doug,  if you don't do compound cuts regularly,  I suggest you consider somethnig along the lines of this  https://i.redd.it/sogd99iwyv241.jpg     The one I did is much smaller, and uses cardboard along the top, but it works well.  My concern with the big gulp is that unless your dust collection system is moving a ton of air, the boxes set pretty far back from the blade won't supply much suction.  Mine is hooked up to a shop vac and works pretty well, though I almost always use it for 90 degree cuts.

Hi Barry,

My saw is the DW705, an older one with the 12" blade. I like the way this fence and dust collection looks. Is there any way to get some details on how it's built and how it's attached to the fence? 

I've been doing some finish trim work in my house and using the miter saw quite a bit. That fence solves a lot of problems for 45 degree cuts in both directions, as well as 90 degree cuts along with dust collection. My DC is a 2 1/2 HP model and I'll have a dedicated line going to the Dewalt (Rockler "Dust Right" system). I'm planning a setup where the Dewalt will be inline with my Dewalt GA RAS, FWIW.

Any details or additional photos would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
Barry, I want to thank you for posting that link to a miter saw dust collection box. ( https://i.redd.it/sogd99iwyv241.jpg )

My saw is a 10 inch Ridgid slider.  I’d been trying to control the dust with a 4 inch hose to a 90 degree plastic elbow behind the saw’s fence AND with a 2½ inch hose connected to the saw’s normal dust outlet.  It wasn’t working too well so when I saw your photo I thought I’d take a crack at that method.

Built the dust box as shown below.  It's all 3/4 inch plywood except for the top made of scrap acrylic that was lying around.  I removed the entire saw fence assembly to get a flat surface to work on.  The wooden dust box is secured to the saw frame using the same four bolts that previously held the stock fence assembly.  I’m using a 4 inch extraction port to an Oneida Super Dust Deputy and Dust-Right 1200 cfm vacuum.

My first test left a bit of a dust cloud during the initial contact with the work piece.  There wasn’t enough air flow into the box's saw kerf.  I added a ¾ inch hole (will probably enlarge this later) and that seems to be pulling in most all of the dust when bringing the saw blade down on the work piece.  Once the blade cuts through to the bottom of a work piece, there is little or no dust visibly escaping.

I still have to shape the ¾ inch box bottom a little bit to allow right or left 45 degree miter cuts but I’m encouraged by the improvement so far.

Cheers,
George

Attached Files Image(s)