Amana
(05-03-2022, 08:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: There are a few things that they could've done such as asking the participating vendors to pass the message where possible. I know some vendors mentioned about the event on fb or their blogs, sharing the news in the 6 or 7 woodworking forums like this one, posting the change on their benhcrafted site and other blogs such as unplugged shop, lost art press, etc. Granted, this might still not make everyone happy, but at least they would've shown a more active way of keeping people informed.

Simon

With all due respect to the organizers of this free-to-the-public event, they could have done a better job of sharing the disappointing news that the show has been postponed.  Having the vendors post it would have been one way.  For example, Chris Schwarz would have been a good channel to inform many would-be attenders.  Everything that a small-business owner does or doesn't do reflects largely upon that person.  Not having a phone number for customer use also seems odd, but perhaps an email address is sufficient if the company owner is prompt about email responses.  I don't find the folks at Bench-Crafted to be anything other than fine folks that produce an outstanding product.  Where they could do better is perhaps share the burden of organizing the event with other vendors.  Charging a fair admission fee for the public would also be a way to finance a part-time administrator for the event.  Lastly, the Fall timing for the event, particularly on a home football game weekend, should be avoided.  Surely there would be a better time when the locale could better accommodate hundreds of extra visitors.
(05-05-2022, 08:42 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: With all due respect to the organizers of this free-to-the-public event, they could have done a better job of sharing the disappointing news that the show has been postponed.  Having the vendors post it would have been one way.  For example, Chris Schwarz would have been a good channel to inform many would-be attenders.  Everything that a small-business owner does or doesn't do reflects largely upon that person.  Not having a phone number for customer use also seems odd, but perhaps an email address is sufficient if the company owner is prompt about email responses.  I don't find the folks at Bench-Crafted to be anything other than fine folks that produce an outstanding product.  Where they could do better is perhaps share the burden of organizing the event with other vendors.  Charging a fair admission fee for the public would also be a way to finance a part-time administrator for the event.  Lastly, the Fall timing for the event, particularly on a home football game weekend, should be avoided.  Surely there would be a better time when the locale could better accommodate hundreds of extra visitors.

You used the word "odd" to describe this failing; the word that comes to my mind is bizzare. These people s h i p products around the world, so they must not be as "small" as some might think. If they wanted to be more customer sensitive, they could easily afford to have someone competent answer the phone and field questions.

The only answer that seems plausible is that they just don't care that much about effective communication and do not place much emphasis on CS. Again, just my opinion based on what they've chosen to do.

Doug