Made My First CNC Parts
(01-28-2022, 12:07 PM)FS7 Wrote: Not cheap by any means, but that's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I suppose if you have the need, it makes a lot more sense. Have you tried using it to flatten panels or slabs?

That's one thing I plan to use it for after it arrives.   I'm still looking at probably another 6 weeks before delivery.  

John
Very cool!  Excited to see what you'll do with it.
A final installment on the cabinet.  I transferred the holes milled by the CNC to a piece of plywood then added some stops so I could use it as a drilling template on the ends of the shelves.  

[Image: AM-JKLWDL9FOiSHR7zN8f4g34MPjLBrXqGbXcLNo...authuser=1]

Had I thought about it just a bit more I would have cut that on the CNC, too.  But the hand made one worked great.  To make assembly easier for my customer I put a black ring around every hole where a dowel needed to be inserted.    

[Image: AM-JKLWRoPqafx0fP_OIbHFaUiNydRQcOUI8HUWb...authuser=1]

With a dowel in all the required holes, 

[Image: AM-JKLUo3NceQjsKbafbaIP0HVhxyZG6qwzwODeE...authuser=1]

the shelves could be lined up with the end frames.

[Image: AM-JKLU9HlkY1_PCh7Ap7oizWGMEE4cQpnypwh0z...authuser=1]

After pressing the end frame against the shelf, a barrel nut is installed in the predrilled hole in the bottom of the shelf and then a bolt is installed.

[Image: AM-JKLUC1LipSJioujxfBiXPzGnW7hWRq1ZF5Euw...authuser=1]

After one side was done you move to the other side and repeat:

[Image: AM-JKLXGHufWIAkBsbb9SNC2L-tLNWPFU01scS6q...authuser=1]

Then add the upper frames:

[Image: AM-JKLUEYlcZfWamyPyOPLnMtosB-5HgyL-d0n0E...authuser=1]

and the top:

[Image: AM-JKLXlYff6QwIdvZmB4RmhJeCGvp3storbCKQ-...authuser=1]

And finally install the hairpin legs on the bottom.  I was a little surprised to find that the cabinet was just as rigid as the one I built a few weeks ago with glued up construction.  The dowels and bolts produced a very rigid structure.  

[Image: AM-JKLVevTdFqRozKSdgiZfGhcjqjiIc9wZz3M-f...authuser=1]

For anyone interested, the finish is Rubio Monocoat - Pure.  One coat and done; couldn't be any simpler to apply.  I broke it down again and boxed it up for shipment.  It all went into a box that was 57 x 17 x 6". Everything was padded with bubble wrap and the box was lined with 1/4" plywood or 3/4" foam.  The packaged weighed 65 lbs.  Shipping the fully assembled cabinet would have been at least $175.  As a flat pack the cost was $50.  

This project was mostly traditional woodworking, but the CNC made the critical work of putting the holes in exactly the right places much easier than it would have been manually.  I can see a lot of utility for this with future projects.  

John