clear finish for interior doors?
What works well as a non-yellowing clearcoat for interior wood doors?

I've used general finishes "High PErformance" on some furniture in the past, so that would be my initial thought.   Any other suggestions?

Matt
(02-04-2022, 09:49 PM)mdhills Wrote: What works well as a non-yellowing clearcoat for interior wood doors?

I've used general finishes "High PErformance" on some furniture in the past, so that would be my initial thought.   Any other suggestions?

Matt

Several years ago I refinished an exterior door and used oil based poly that specified it would not yellow. Don't remember exactly what it said specifically. I think it was Minwax.

Jim
Jim
I think a water based poly would work fine for interior use.
Deft Lacquer works great. I have been using it for years.
(02-05-2022, 11:17 AM)woodworker501 Wrote: Deft Lacquer works great. I have been using it for years.

Excellent choice thats often overlooked.

Ed
Believe it or not... water based poly floor finish. Water clear and stays that way and very durable. HD sells PARK floor finish. I've used it on lots of projects... including my stairs. Love the stuff. You can re-coat in about 40 minutes with a light sanding between coats. 3 or 4 coats. Looks better each coat. You'll need at least 3. Oak, cherry trim and a birch ply top and mahogany bridge. All the same Parks finish. Very light "natural" stain on everything. A foam brush is your friend.

[Image: SiQPDUS.jpg?2]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(02-05-2022, 11:17 AM)woodworker501 Wrote: Deft Lacquer works great. I have been using it for years.

Is there an advantage over the water-based poly?

For the deft, would you use the rattle can or brush-on?
(I have limited experience with lacquers)

Thanks,
Matt
Some years ago I replaced all the interior doors with oak 6 panel doors. I used lacquer (not Deft, but SW lacquer) for them as well as the new baseboards and trim I installed. While there are a lot of disadvantages to lacquer (the high solvent content can go boom while spraying, as well as make you really sick or high) it does dry really fast allowing several coats in a short time. I sprayed, so the application was quick and easy. But lacquer isn't known for being durable, we were MT nesters with only a small dog, so I wasn't too worried about the durability. It does have a nice look, and with the other advantages it was my choice. But if you want durability I have to think one of the waterborne finishes is a better choice. One of the things about GF High performance is that it can be brushed or sprayed, making that a good choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-04-2022, 09:49 PM)mdhills Wrote: What works well as a non-yellowing clearcoat for interior wood doors?

Matt

High Performance is a great choice for interior doors.  It has a good UV package in it to protect it from yellowing.  It's really easy to spray, too, though you may need to thin it a little depending upon what gun and needle set you have.  GF's Enduro Clear Poly would be another great choice.  It has the advantage of being even more durable than High Performance.  

John
(02-05-2022, 08:53 PM)mdhills Wrote: Is there an advantage over the water-based poly?

For the deft, would you use the rattle can or brush-on?
(I have limited experience with lacquers)

Thanks,
Matt

Rattle can lacquer-
Advantages- dries fast, probably a tie in which one is 'harder', arguably easier to fix/ touch-up if needed, arguably looks better/ easier to get a smooth 'professional' looking spray finish
Disadvantages- cost (for rattle cans), smell, clean-up (if you use a spray gun- not an issue w/ rattle cans)

I'm not a fan of brush on lacquer, but I'm a big fan of spraying lacquer.

Your call if you decide to use lacquer or something else, but don't be intimidated by it. It is relatively easy to learn to use lacquer. It's my go-to now for unstained wood finish. I also like water based poly, and even though it doesn't yellow it still has that plasticy look if you know what I mean so I prefer lacquer. If you go with water based poly, Minwax is cheap, available everywhere, and works fine. Target coatings makes a superior WBP if you want to go the extra mile.