Kitchen Cabinet Paint
Photo 
Got er done ! Ended up using the Gemini EVO turned out great. Took painter about 6 full days 1 coat primed with lacquer & airless 2-3 coats finish with HVLP. The EVO is a very hard paint I cant believe it's a water borne product nothing like any "latex" type paint I've ever seen. Painter said it cures very fast but it dried fast but took a few days to really cure. Biggest mistake I made was not having pulls picked out and installed prior to start of using the kitchen & loading the cabinets day after painting. The paint seemed to take about 3 days to really become hard. Opening the those drawers without pulls was tough and we ended up chipping a few of them luckily the EVO touches up great and unless you put a strong flat light a few inches from the touch up you cant see it. Other thing I would have done is tint the primer.
After watching Him paint I'm glad I didn't attempt it my self but if I ever do this again I might invest in an HVLP set up & try it.

(06-17-2022, 11:19 AM)2link2 Wrote: Got er done ! Ended up using the Gemini EVO turned out great. Took painter about 6 full days 1 coat primed with lacquer & airless 2-3 coats finish with HVLP. The EVO is a very hard paint I cant believe it's a water borne product nothing like any "latex" type paint I've ever seen. Painter said it cures very fast but it dried fast but took a few days to really cure. Biggest mistake I made was not having pulls picked out and installed prior to start of using the kitchen & loading the cabinets day after painting. The paint seemed to take about 3 days to really become hard. Opening the those drawers without pulls was tough and we ended up chipping a few of them luckily the EVO touches up great and unless you put a strong flat light a few inches from the touch up you cant see it. Other thing I would have done is tint the primer.
After watching Him paint I'm glad I didn't attempt it my self but if I ever do this again I might invest in an HVLP set up & try it.

They look great!  

John
They really do look good, sounds like it was a good choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks guys ! They do look really nice, if anyone is thinking about which paint to use for a job site spray I defiantly recommend the Gemini EVO.
Looks great. 

Big Grin If your bill was $3k , you got an absolute bargain for a weeks worth of work and Gemini.
And now you know that waterborne products designed for furniture and cabinetry is nothing like latex wall paint.  Waterborne finishes generally dry and harden quickly, often can be handled in an hour or so, and put into gentle use in a couple of days.  Full cure, however, takes at least a week, and in some cases several weeks, so be gentle on them for awhile. I did a study on a WB conversion varnish a couple of years ago, the kind you catalyze.  The manufacturer said full cure was in about 7 days.  My testing showed the resistance to things like lacquer thinner was far better after 4 weeks than 1 week.  That was surprising, but the good news is it was just about bullet proof once it had fully cured.   

John
Big Grin 
(06-19-2022, 09:22 AM)jteneyck Wrote: And now you know that waterborne products designed for furniture and cabinetry is nothing like latex wall paint.  Waterborne finishes generally dry and harden quickly, often can be handled in an hour or so, and put into gentle use in a couple of days.  Full cure, however, takes at least a week, and in some cases several weeks, so be gentle on them for awhile. I did a study on a WB conversion varnish a couple of years ago, the kind you catalyze.  The manufacturer said full cure was in about 7 days.  My testing showed the resistance to things like lacquer thinner was far better after 4 weeks than 1 week.  That was surprising, but the good news is it was just about bullet proof once it had fully cured.   

John

CM,
The bill was 3k, the painter was young guy, one man shop very considerate & seemed to take a lot pride in his work I tipped him 100 bucks. I helped a bit with tear down, label & reassemble doors & drawers. I adjusted all doors drawers prior to paint (waste of time) I thought He would just tape off drawer box but He wanted all the drawer fronts removed (22 of em) He didn't ask for help I just didn't trust him with the knowing about the hardware at that point.

jteneyck, very good info. the devil is in the details foe sure.
I wish the painter knew about those cure times. I asked & He told me no cure time "this paint dries fast" He ended up eating his words & had to put 3rd coat on the backs of the doors because when He put them on his drying rack too soon after he sprayed em they got slight marks from the rack.
And like I said we started using the cabinets they day after they were painted a huge mistake and to make it worse they didn't have any hardware on them for about week.
And too add insult to injury I know better I'm retired GC built a lot of custom homes but the boss & design committee of 1 (the wife) couldn't decide on hardware & wanted Her kitchen back
Big Grin
Drying……………and……………..Curing……………..two different things.
Yes