No gratitude for a quick little project
I'm just doing a quick remodel/upgrade for a tiny bathroom at my Church that had some water damage. A new sink, touchless faucet and dispensers, grab bars, and although it can't be ADA compliant; a larger door. You pay for materials, I'll cover the labor.

So when the particle board vanity and top went away, I see that the drain goes straight down thru the floor to a drum trap. The water supplies aren't in the wall either, so that wall gets opened up. The toilet has to be rotated to accommodate the larger door. Move the drain, another wall gets opened for the supply, and now I need a new floor. Re-framing for the larger door in the center is another wall (both sides), and the last one needed help before we started. Did I mention the baseboard heat needed to be replaced too? So four sheets of drywall for "repairs" and two days later, the heat is working, the compound is dry and a new floor is down. Let's get this sanded, primed, and painted. (Which, by the way, has to be sand textured to match the existing.) While that's happening, I measure, cut, and cope all the baseboard with the four at the doorway left long. Now, seeing it's an outswing, I start the door installation.

So I had posted on another thread that I was lucky to find a pre-hung 3/0 x 6/8, 6 panel pine door unit in stock at the blue box store. I pulled the cardboard and discovered a dozen staples were long enough to keep the split jamb from coming apart. By now the casing is coming loose at the bottom; no biggie, I've got a 1/4" stapler right here. The casing used to be glued and stapled, now they just put enough staples to get it out the door; not necessarily to the jobsite. An unacceptable level of workmanship is when the head casings are are 1" too short and they staple them on anyway! Only after I unwrapped the door unit did I see that all four side casings not only overlapped the jambs (reveal was gone about a foot from the top) but were actually covering part of the door. The door gets re-packaged and loaded in the truck. Let's get the rest of this done!

While the grab bars are being installed, I'm prepping the sink. Several trips to the truck and four tries later the faucet is finally mounted. On to the drain. It's just a " heavy duty" strainer (no trip assembly with the touchless faucet) going on a Kohler wall mount sink. A little putty on top. A rubber grommet, plastic washer and nut on the bottom. No problem. Except there's only one thread exposed. Two men, ten minutes later, and that's in the truck to be returned! The toilet works and the sink is operational too but there's nothing connecting it to the P-trap, so the power is disconnected. At least it looks like a bathroom now.

When I get an acceptable door unit I'll go back to install it and the last four pieces of baseboard. The soap and paper dispensers will go in if I remember to bring hollow wall fasteners this time.

Even with all these aggravations, my biggest problem with this project was that it's a basic "Builders Quality" half bath. There's no "WOW factor". It's neat and clean, and a little better, yet there's still several thousand dollars of materials and labor invested. Then I realized I never really needed a pat on the back. Being called to serve gods Kingdom is a gift in itself.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I was the property steward at a church I went to for about fifteen years. Did lots of projects there.
It was an honor and a joy for me to have done it.
VH07V  
I've been the caretaker for our church property for three years.  The building is the proverbial little white church by itself out in the country.  Built in the late 1800's.  It's a joy, although at times it is a troublesome pain.

The congregants are Salt of the Earth type people; many are farmers who will do anything for you.  The vehicles in the parking lot on Sunday morning are a mix of farm trucks and SUVs.  Many of those vehicles will be covered in dust from the miles of gravel road they travel to get to church.

The members of the church are thankful for the care.  The church is active and does a lot in the community, but like so many rural/small town churches, the congregation is aging out.  At 63, I'll joke that LOML and I are the Youth Group; the best humor has an element of truth to it.  

The church building been upgraded some over the years. A foundation with basement was put in under the original building.  Plumbing and running water.  A kitchen.  The usual.

My biggest issue now is mouse control.  The foundation was made with blocks, and there are some cavities all the way around that mice enter.  Finding those and fixing them simply isn't practical.

Somehow, it's very easy to get bent out of shape when something goes wrong, but the other members of the congregation seem to help me get realigned.  Maybe that's why God gave me this church to join?
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(02-20-2022, 12:19 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Then I realized I never really needed a pat on the back. Being called to serve gods Kingdom is a gift in itself.

I made this for my church several years ago plus have done several projects along the way. The fact that I feel it's God's calling. I'm pleased with myself.

Jim
Jim
(02-22-2022, 02:13 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I made this for my church several years ago plus have done several projects along the way. The fact that I feel it's God's calling. I'm pleased with myself.

Jim

Are there more of the pointed or "Gothic" arches around your Church? Our 1700's Church building has these arches at the top of their corner boards. Nothing structural, just cosmetic.  There's a 1" x 2" on each side of each 16" wide corner board, and these arches fit between them. 

I ask because when I designed the covered entrance for our addition, I replicated the design (on a smaller scale) on the roof support posts. The Congregation approved re-construction of a shed roof over the front entry as shown in some photos taken about 100 years ago. The Historic Commission, which has given "conditional approval" pending construction drawings, has indicated (although they won't officially suggest) that something nicer than a shed roof would be approved. I'll design the posts similar our new addition for continuity, but I'm interested if there's any significance of these arches to Christianity or Christian Church buildings in general. (Google didn't help much.)
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(02-23-2022, 12:27 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Are there more of the pointed or "Gothic" arches around your Church? Our 1700's Church building has these arches at the top of their corner boards. Nothing structural, just cosmetic.  There's a 1" x 2" on each side of each 16" wide corner board, and these arches fit between them. 

I ask because when I designed the covered entrance for our addition, I replicated the design (on a smaller scale) on the roof support posts. The Congregation approved re-construction of a shed roof over the front entry as shown in some photos taken about 100 years ago. The Historic Commission, which has given "conditional approval" pending construction drawings, has indicated (although they won't officially suggest) that something nicer than a shed roof would be approved. I'll design the posts similar our new addition for continuity, but I'm interested if there's any significance of these arches to Christianity or Christian Church buildings in general. (Google didn't help much.)

I'm confused by your question. I'm a novelist when it comes to Gothic arches. But my research tells me that Gothic arches have a pointed arch, a ribbed vault and a flying buttress.  

My church is the oldest one in Springfield, Mo. It's on the National Archives (originally built in 1870). If you go to https://christepiscopalchurch.com/histor...hitecture/ it has more history & pictures.

The alter pictured above is for the chapel in the upstairs portion.

I'm envious of your building abilities.

Jim
Jim
Jim,
I checked out your Church. I saw pointed arches at the top of the windows and also on non-structural wall moldings. You chose to include them on the Altar, but obviously they are not needed for structural support. I was just wondering if if they represent something significant to Christians. Even something long forgotten, like why there's roosters on weathervanes. ("...three times before the rooster crows") There are hundreds of things we say, do, or see every day that have similar origins.
(02-24-2022, 11:40 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Jim,
I checked out your Church. I saw pointed arches at the top of the windows and also on non-structural wall moldings. You chose to include them on the Altar, but obviously they are not needed for structural support. I was just wondering if if they represent something significant to Christians. Even something long forgotten, like why there's roosters on weathervanes. ("...three times before the rooster crows") There are hundreds of things we say, do, or see every day that have similar origins.

That's an interesting question about the pointed arches. I'm going to ask around and see what I came up with. When i delivered the alter I asked to priest if the 8 arches and he said no. 

I'll keep in touch.

Jim
Jim
I love doing what I can around church, and I agree with others that it’s not about recognition. But I have learned that acknowledgement is important…if it appears no one knows or cares about what’s being done, that can have a negative effect on a lot of people’s willingness to serve. Even if it’s not “Thank you for doing this,” I hope at least “it’s nice having <whatever was done> in our church,” works it’s way back.

That’s one sign of a healthy congregation, IMO.

And BTW, there ARE people who do need some recognition for reasons far removed from selfishness, so please don’t be shy about thanking your clergy, organists, and whomever else you see serving.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(02-25-2022, 09:50 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: That's an interesting question about the pointed arches. I'm going to ask around and see what I came up with. When i delivered the alter I asked to priest if the 8 arches and he said no. 

I'll keep in touch.

Jim

The best I can come up with is that the arches are pointed because they point towards heaven.

That's the best I can come up with.

Jim
Jim