Polyurethane Tinting
Has anyone successfully figured out how to tint thinner-based polyurethane? What products/tints work if any? I have a cabinet I built, stained and finished. My friend said the color would match his kitchen cabinets perfectly while it was in my shop. Alas, it is not “red” enough and does not match. It needs more red/orange to be colored to fit. Perhaps this topic is old and tired already and I could be directed appropriately.
(03-25-2022, 11:13 AM)aarondpeters Wrote: Has anyone successfully figured out how to tint thinner-based polyurethane? What products/tints work if any? I have a cabinet  I built, stained and finished. My friend said the color would  match his kitchen cabinets perfectly while it was in my shop. Alas, it is not “red” enough and does not match. It needs more red/orange to be colored to fit. Perhaps this topic is old and tired already and I could be directed appropriately.

Transtint will work.   It will mix in almost any finish.  It is a dye that can be used as a toner.  Comes in many colors. It does not take much to tint the finish.  Roly
I POSTED THIS IN ERROR, DO NOT USE IN OIL BASE PRODUCTS.
Thanks, Roly. I shall experiment.

I’ll post a before and after when I figure out how to include photos. My photos are apparently not appropriately sized or formatted to be acceptable for posting. This, too, shall be conquered.
(03-25-2022, 12:20 PM)Roly Wrote: Transtint will work.   It will mix in almost any finish.  It is a dye that can be used as a toner.  Comes in many colors.    It does not take much to tint the finish.  Roly

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought Transtint was for use only in water, alcohol, and some oil based with the use of some kind of additive. I know there are dyes made for oil based products.
(03-25-2022, 05:19 PM)Willyou Wrote: I know there are dyes made for oil based products.

J.E. moser is one that has dyes for oil based.
i recall seeing one at either rockler or woodcraft, too.
(03-25-2022, 05:19 PM)Willyou Wrote: Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought Transtint was for use only in water, alcohol, and some oil based with the use of some kind of additive. I know there are dyes made for oil based products.

You are Correct.  I am wrong about using in oil base coating.   It was a different product I had used.  Transtint does have a additive to use when mixing into oil based products but it may not be easily obtained at a retail store. Roly
(03-26-2022, 06:03 AM)tomsteve Wrote: J.E. moser is one that has dyes for oil based.
i recall seeing one at either rockler or woodcraft, too.

Yes, this is what you want, dyes for oil based finishes.  Lockwoods sells them, too, IIRC.  

John
You can also use artist's oil paints. That works best if you first liquefy the paint in Liquin, an alkyd oil base. Then it can be mixed with any oil/solvent based varnish, such as polyurethane. Liquin is available at art supply stores.