Anyone ever change the door gasket on their front loader washer??
Water leaked over the floor yesterday.  After many beach towels I got it dried out, somewhat.

Thurn out the door gasket has a little tear in it.   Did a little research on YT to figure out how to change it  It is a bit of a job but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I ordered a new one from the Big River in Brazil
Smile.  Should be hear on a week or so, so we're traipsing over to a friend's house to do our wash in the interim.

I think I'll disassemble the machine this weekend in anticipation of installing the new one.

It's a Kenmore front loader, probably 10 yrs old, maybe?

Wish me luck!
Dumber than I appear
I have! Let me tell you it's a real PITA to put on the new one, but it can be done.
I don't think I did a video of changing mine when it ripped, but I did do a video on cleaning out the machine and in that video I do remove and reinstall the gasket.
So at the risk of shameless self promotion here is the link to that video. I hope it helps you out.
Time stamp 1:56 is taking it off
Time stamp 4:42 is putting it back on

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZohb6OsQA&t=81s
Ray
(04-08-2022, 09:00 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I have! Let me tell you it's a real PITA to put on the new one, but it can be done.
I don't think I did a video of changing mine when it ripped, but I did do a video on cleaning out the machine and in that video I do remove and reinstall the gasket.
So at the risk of shameless self promotion here is the link to that video. I hope it helps you out.
Time stamp 1:56 is taking it off
Time stamp 4:42 is putting it back on

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZohb6OsQA&t=81s

Thanks!

I'll bookmark that page!
Dumber than I appear
I did it twice on our samsung -  wasnt too difficult - the spring was a pain but that was about it
(04-08-2022, 01:56 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I did it twice on our samsung -  wasnt too difficult - the spring was a pain but that was about it

Good to know!
Dumber than I appear
here's a image of the washing machine after this weekend.  Also included a screenshot of the gasket tear.

One guy on YT recommended ordering a special pair of pliers that aid in getting the spring clamp over the new gasket.  I ordered the pliers Sat around 3ish......they were delivered on Sunday by 11AM !!!!   WOW!!!

Now, if the gasket would only be delivered....

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
Looks very similar to our old LG Tromm. I never had to replace that gasket but I did take it off more than once.  Had to get to the bearing in the back once and the other time was for something I can't remember.  The hardest thing was getting that retaining wire on and off.  I followed videos posted on RepairClinic.com.  Bought the parts from them as well.
2 questions, 2 comments: 
Q: any idea how/why the gasket ruptured?
Q: while waiting for the river to deliver, is it worth attempting to reinforce/patch the tear (along the lines of FlexSeal)?
C: shame the gasket can't be rotated so that the tear is at 12, instead of 6...
C: Thank goodness for YT and the myriad of DIY repair videos!
(04-11-2022, 12:49 PM)brianwelch Wrote: 2 questions, 2 comments: 
Q: any idea how/why the gasket ruptured?
Q: while wating for the river to deliver, is it worth attempting to reinforce/patch the tear (along the lines of FlexSeal)?
C: shame the gasket can't be rotated so that the tear is at 12, instead of 6...
C: Thank goodness for YT and the myriad of DIY repair videos!

As I recall the gasket can't be rotated because there are other port/connections for soap dispersion or something.
I don't think I'll ever buy a front loader again. They're nice in some ways, but expensive and are a real PITA to maintain - at least with a household full of children 
Laugh

I wonder if that can be patched as well.

I once had one of those rope-coil type a pot holders unravel in the machine. It managed to sneak past the gasket, between the wash drum and outer drum, and wrapped around the axle in the back of the drum. That was fun (NOT) to fix. I didn't know what the problem was and I was getting all kinds of error messages. So I took the thing completely apart to see if I could find and fix the problem before forking out $900 for another machine. Removing the raveled material from the hub fixed the issue, but I probably drank half of my savings in beer along the way 
Laugh
Ray
(04-11-2022, 08:49 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: here's a image of the washing machine after this weekend.  Also included a screenshot of the gasket tear.

One guy on YT recommended ordering a special pair of pliers that aid in getting the spring clamp over the new gasket.  I ordered the pliers Sat around 3ish......they were delivered on Sunday by 11AM !!!!   WOW!!!

Now, if the gasket would only be delivered....

While you got that thing apart do some more PMCS on that. At least clean out the coin basket in case it's got stuff in it.
Ray