Expanding Foam for Setting Fence Posts
(05-23-2022, 03:20 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: My concern with the foam would be that the posts would all be top heavy. Just doesn't sound like a good alternative to concrete. Foam "may" anchor ok but will it degrade? Concrete won't degrade and it's bottom heavy. I like the physics of the concrete.

Guy who built my deck and fence used the foam on the fence posts.   I don't know what the cost difference is, but it certainly seems like it would be easier.  I had to screw the post where the gate closes to the garage.  The post where the gate is hinged isn't sturdy at all.  I'm not a fan.
(05-23-2022, 05:58 PM)KC Wrote: Guy who built my deck and fence used the foam on the fence posts.   I don't know what the cost difference is, but it certainly seems like it would be easier.  I had to screw the post where the gate closes to the garage.  The post where the gate is hinged isn't sturdy at all.  I'm not a fan.

That makes perfect sense to me. 60 to 80 lbs of concrete at the bottom of a gate post is a heck of a counter balance.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay