My Clock Story
I just finished a project and I’m proud of it.  I had bought this mechanical skeleton clock mechanism before my Dad passed a number of years ago.  I had also bought a set of plans for the case at the time and expected to eventually use.  After Dad passed, there were two monster walnut trees behind their house that Dad just loved, but Mom hated due to the nuts and their cleanup.  Mom had the trees taken down (guy did it for the wood and cut them up for firewood – go figure).  I was able to get a couple of average limbs and had them sawn up into planks.  I’ve had the wood air drying for almost 10 years and the moisture content was acceptable so I recently made the case.  Happens the plans I bought are not to be found so I designed my own on the fly.  I did have to do a little tweaking to make it look correct but I like it.  Now I’m working on getting the pendulum adjusted to keep accurate time.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nicely done.  Pretty "limb wood".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(05-26-2022, 06:41 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Nicely done.  Pretty "limb wood".

I agree on the wood, it's beautiful.  The limbs were about 10" diameter and there was a Y where it spread out to about 19".  I stickled and dried the wood for about 10 years in the shed and it came out beautiful.  I know Dad would have loved to see it had he lived, I taught him woodworking, so he knew.
Beautiful clock. I have visions of one day making a Grandfather clock. The problem is, after 45 years of marriage, and accumulating "stuff", I really don't know where we would put a Grandfather clock. I have 5 clocks in the garage, simply because there is no room in the house.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Beautiful work there!
I like that it's a shelf clock (if that's what it would be called?) and not a tall clock.
If there is any of that wood left you could turn some pens for other keeps sakes for family members.
Ray
Beautiful work there!
I like that it's a shelf clock (if that's what it would be called?) and not a tall clock.
If there is any of that wood left you could turn some pens for other keeps sakes for family members.
Ray
Wow: very well done!
(05-26-2022, 09:44 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have visions of one day making a Grandfather clock. The problem is, after 45 years of marriage, and accumulating "stuff", I really don't know where we would put a Grandfather clock. I have 5 clocks in the garage, simply because there is no room in the house.

I hear you on the Grandfather clocks.  Dad bought both a Grandfather and a Grandmother clock kits (mechanism and unassembled case) which he built up.  They were gorgeous and Mom and Dad had one upstairs and one downstairs.  Thing was, after they both passed it was something to find one of the kids or grandkids that wanted them.  One granddaughter has a big house and took one while the other went to another granddaughter.  Had they not taken them I don't know what would have happened to the clocks.  I'm like you, I don't have any room for one.  Mantle and desk clocks are much easier to pass down to the next generation IMO.