zero turn lawnmower for hills?
I need a lawn mower for hills and SWMBO wants a zero turn - if she's going to help do the mowing then I'm good with that over a tractor
Yes
The property has a bit of grade to it down then up going out and then of course the same on the return.
So far this Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 seems to be the best bang for the buck of what I am able to pay.
Anyone here with experience with this machine to vouch for it's performance?
Other recommendations in the price range of this mower?
thanks
Ray
I don't know anything about the Cub, but your post title asks about ZTR mowers and hills.  I have a little seat time on a ZTR and will say that mowing across slopes can be an adventure.  Directly up and down grades is usually OK, but across the slope is another story.  Both rear wheels drive and are used to control not only speed but direction.  The front wheels are free spinning.  You control direction by applying more speed to either the left or right rear drive wheel.  If you happen to break traction on a slope, you have no ability to control the direction you will head, as the front wheels will simply follow the path of least resistance.  Mowing across a slope on a ZTR can be done.  It takes a little finesse with the power and directional control and if you aren't accustomed to driving a ZTR, the technique can take some practice.  It isn't necessarily intuitive.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-26-2022, 02:01 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: ... across the slope is another story.  Both rear wheels drive and are used to control not only speed but direction...  

thanks! Yes I am aware that power and direction are controlled by the rear wheels on a ZTR. I've never driven a ZTR before, but I have driven armored vehicles and fudge lifts, so I don't think I'll have much issue getting used to the controls. However, I didn't know that a ZTR could be more challenging going sideways on a slope than a regular tractor mower. Given the terrain of this property for almost all of it I think I could manage to only mow straight up/down or diagonally. Regardless if I go with a tractor or a ZTR I'm going to have to be cautious around the pond - but maybe more so with the ZTR?
Ray
You will for a fact have to be more careful around the pond. For some years I mowed our property that a creek running across it with a ZT. I probably got the mower stuck in the creek once/twie a year on average, and i usually had to go get the lawn tractor to pull it out. Once it wound up on it's side, and I had to use my truck to pull it out that time. I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying one (I'm on my third) but mowing slopes, pond edges and such with them takes some care. I'm not familiar with the Cub Cadet mowers so will only offer this: make sure you get a suspension seat. The ZTs seem to me to ride a lot rougher than a tractor, and if you hit a large pothole in the yard (divot, I guess) it can jar your teeth out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I tried a ZTR on my hill and after about 15 minutes I had had all I wanted and took it back and got a rider.

My biggest problem was the higher center of gravity -- slope was steep enough that if one wheel hit a rock, limb or hole the whole thing got a little tippy.  No!Thank!You!

I also had a problem with low hanging branches grabbing controls and turning me into the briar patch 
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Do you have many trees or bushes to go  around. If not I would go with a lawn tractor with a wider cut. ZTR are great if you have a lot of shrubbery or trees. You can trim quite nicely on a ZTR as opposed to a lawn tractor. Also on a side note when I used a ZTR it rode rough and beat me badly. Traded it back for a Kubota diesel 8 yrs ago.
They take practice on hills. Basically you have to go straight up and straight down. You get used to it with a little practice. If you can't do that around the pond.... stay away from the pond. I had a Toro TimeCutter 50" at the last house. Mowed 1.5 acres... all on a hill. Loved it. It had the Kawasaki twin motor.. loved it too. I don't think they use that motor anymore. IMHO, the best mower I ever had. I traded it for a 50" rider and a Stihl chainsaw when we moved to a place with a smaller yard. Never had an issue with it.

On a side note... I plowed my driveway with it too. Rigged up a tractor supply riding mower plow to it. Worked fine. A fun mower.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
I just found out that there’s a ztr Cub with front steering wheels but I don’t know if I can find one locally and it’s gunna cost another grand. Not doing that.
Ray
Just look for a unit that has a low center of gravity.
IMHO, ZTR mowers and hillsides aren't a match for each other.

True hillside mowers are made, but they don't come cheap. Usually only make sense in commercial applications.

If you are still wanting a ZTR, then I would recommend you look at Grasshopper or Walker brand mowers with the deck out front. Mainly because the center of gravity will be lower. It will do OK on hills, but I wouldn't buy it for hills. I would recommend a "traction kit" if you buy one. Basically extra weights and lug tires.

The mower would back up the face of Gibraltar, but this wasn't necessarily a good thing. Wouldn't hardly do anything going uphill. Sideways is did OK, but it was kind of an effort in crab steering. Basically constantly overcoming the slide.