Western red cedar
I talked to a friend who has his entire basement done in this same cedar. He says he has planed miles of it. He has an old Foley Belsaw planer. I looked it up. It has 3 knives, and a feed rate of 12' per minute. Quite a difference from my 2 knives, 27' per minute.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(08-05-2022, 11:23 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I talked to a friend who has his entire basement done in this same cedar. He says he has planed miles of it. He has an old Foley Belsaw planer. I looked it up. It has 3 knives, and a feed rate of 12' per minute. Quite a difference from my 2 knives, 27' per minute.

I have planed tens of thousand bdft on my variable speed industrial planer.  My experience has been that feed rate is the most critical variable in tear-out. Slow is better.  Ditto for jointer.  Slow as a snail and I can joint anything on the jointer which is why my jointer was never upgraded to a helical head.
Bill Tindall
(08-02-2022, 03:39 PM)Alan S Wrote: That looks more like eastern red cedar, (aromatic cedar) than western.

Correct.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-02-2022, 04:00 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: Well, it is quite aromatic, so maybe it is eastern. IDK  ?????  First time I have ever worked with it.

Does it smell like a freshly sharpened pencil? Western Red Cedar does to me.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(08-02-2022, 03:14 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I took a piece of the cedar back where I bought it, and he ran it through the sander for me. Is that some pretty wood or what?  I think so.The pic does not do it justice. It's a lot more vivid.

You have eastern red cedar.  After exposure to air and light the reds will fade and it will become reddish brown.  If it is the bright red you are smitten with you are in for a disappointment.  

Personally I do not find knotty lumber attractive for any application.  We sold cedar for lining closets and blanket chests.  But even its "moth repellant" odor goes away with time.  It makes lasting fence posts.  

What so you propose making from this lumber?  It is very soft, if you haven't noticed yet.  If not KD the knots will bleed sap into finish if not properly sealed.
Bill Tindall
I have no particular plans for it, I simply like the look. As you say, maybe that will fade with time. Years ago I made some folding Adirondack chairs. This might be a good project for the wood, if I can get it milled. I did make a little box out of the one piece I did have sanded down, and I think it looks great. Personally, I don't mind knots as long as they are tight, but again, they may prove to be problematic in time.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
(08-06-2022, 02:34 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have no particular plans for it, I simply like the look. As you say, maybe that will fade with time. Years ago I made some folding Adirondack chairs. This might be a good project for the wood, if I can get it milled. I did make a little box out of the one piece I did have sanded down, and I think it looks great. Personally, I don't mind knots as long as they are tight, but again, they may prove to be problematic in time.

Red cedar (it is actually a juniper) is an exceptionally stable wood.
Bill Tindall