Odd-Jobs question
In my tool accumulation, I have several Stanley Odd-Jobs, including the Simpson Machine Company copy (made in Gettysburg, PA). My question, do any here actually use this tool? Stanley made it for around 30 to 40 years, discontinuing it in the 30's (IIRC), and common sense would say, if it was selling and/or being used, it would still be made.

So, do any here use this tool?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-03-2023, 10:22 AM)Tony Z Wrote: In my tool accumulation, I have several Stanley Odd-Jobs, including the Simpson Machine Company copy (made in Gettysburg, PA).  My question, do any here actually use this tool?  Stanley made it for around 30 to 40 years, discontinuing it in the 30's (IIRC), and common sense would say, if it was selling and/or being used, it would still be made.

So, do any here use this tool?

Tony..you may remember that Harbor Freight made a replica of it a few years back and I had one..I did a couple of mods to it to make it more useful..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Was more for Carpenters back then.....when they didn't have trusses to set, pre-made door jambs...and 99% of the work was "Stick-built".
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Never owned one, never had a strong desire; my impression has been that it's either a "gent's tool," that is, something useful for someone who's pretending to do stuff; or a tool for someone who doesn't need great precision but does need a multi-purpose tool to save on weight because s/he has to carry the toolkit to the job everyday.
I honestly think that people bought them as a curiosity, not to use.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Odd Job was replaced by Swanson Speed Square....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Woodpecker's made a red one.

I never seen a use for one.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

After starting this thread, I have one of mine out to try. As a marking gauge, marking a straight line, using a pencil, it does a great job, mainly because of the registration size and heft of the tool. I tried a few of the other uses and they seem awkward.

Stanley must have made quite a few of these as there is not much collector value for them. Also, until recently, no one copied them. As Jack mentioned, HF made and sold them. A machine shop from Gettysburg, PA made them, Rockler tried their hand at them as did Garret Wade (still offered) and a few years ago, Woodpecker made a limited run of them.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-08-2023, 05:20 AM)Tony Z Wrote: After starting this thread, I have one of mine out to try.  As a marking gauge, marking a straight line, using a pencil, it does a great job, mainly because of the registration size and heft of the tool.  I tried a few of the other uses and they seem awkward.

Stanley must have made quite a few of these as there is not much collector value for them.  Also, until recently, no one copied them.  As Jack mentioned, HF made and sold them.  A machine shop from Gettysburg, PA made them, Rockler tried their  hand at them as did Garret Wade (still offered) and a few years ago, Woodpecker made a limited run of them.
The HF model was cast manganese bronze and was very appealing to a woodworkers eye. It was priced at less than 20 dollars and I would probably by another one if HF offered them again..I love tools that have brass or bronze in their construction and I think lots of woodworkers do also. I remember LN brought out their anniversary bronze #4 1/2 and how popular it was..and it still is......bringing big bucks..I sold mine for double what I paid and would gladly pay that to get it back!!!!!!
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Garrett Wade still sells replicas of the Stanley Odd Job. You can also find the GW version on Amazon.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill