Painting a door
Got a new exterior door, steel.  Wife says it shall be made green.  Why shouldn't I use the Rustoleum rattle cans?  It'll be behind a storm door on a covered porch.
(07-08-2023, 05:52 PM)KC Wrote: Got a new exterior door, steel.  Wife says it shall be made green.  Why shouldn't I use the Rustoleum rattle cans?  It'll be behind a storm door on a covered porch.

I can't think of a any reason why not as long as you can get a color you like and can apply it uniformly.  Some folks say that exterior doors should only be painted with a brush.  I'm not one of those people.  

John
I have a metal door that I painted years ago with green Rustoleum. Although, I used a small foam roller. I see no reason why spray can won't work. However, you may find that you need more cans than you think. Spray can paint is very thin.
You might also try a water based product referred to as DTM (direct to metal). You can probably find it at most any paint dealer. I have used it a few times for exterior projects and it holds up quite well. Also, easy to use and clean-up is a breeze. I don't know if it comes in spray cans. BTW, it can by used on metal with primer and on wood. It doesn't have to be applied "direct to metal".
(07-08-2023, 06:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I can't think of a any reason why not as long as you can get a color you like and can apply it uniformly.  Some folks say that exterior doors should only be painted with a brush.  I'm not one of those people.  

John

I hate brush marks on anything.  I generally use a roller on doors because I like the little bit of 'texture' it leaves.  But if it's too hot (or you get too fussy with the roller), sometimes it's hard to keep everything wet enough to get a consistent sheen.  I've had that with rattle cans, also.
Been there, done that. But a quart of acrylic enamel and spray it if you have a gun. You will probably use most of the can.