If you were to build a new shop...
If you were going to build a new shop from scratch, what would you do or not do?

I mean everything, like type of construction, building shape and size, building features, machines to definitely have or avoid... anything.
Shut up and take your medicine, citizen.
Lots of windows,  comfortable flooring would be on my list.  The more space ,  the better.
(07-31-2023, 07:04 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Lots of windows,  comfortable flooring would be on my list.  The more space ,  the better.

I hadn't though about windows.  I guess I viewed them as a security problem.  But there are solutions for that.  Are you thinking for light or air flow?

The building I'm considering is a 16x60 shed.  The floor would be 12" OC 2x6 with 3/4 inch ply over that.  I could leave it bare, or maybe paint it with something.  I thought about putting in the same bamboo based click together laminate floors that I have in my office.  They look nice and have a texture to them.  And it was inexpensive per square foot.  But it's a lot of square feet.  I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.
Comfortable flooring and plenty of electrical outlets throughout the building and maybe even a few on the outside.
10 ft ceilings minimum.  Dust collection ducting under the floor if at all possible.  Wood flooring.  More power than you think you'll need.  Plenty of insulation and heat and AC.  Natural light LED lighting, but plenty of windows for the hand tool and assembly areas.
I agree with the 10'+ ceilings, lots of outlets (120V and 240V, depending on what you have/use), and lots of lighting. For lighting, I'm fine with lots of LEDs, and would have some security concerns with windows. Maybe skylights would be a good addition if you're starting from scratch.

I'm curious about the wood floor concept, whether wood flooring over concrete or a base of ply over 2x6s, as mentioned. What do you all do if you have a really heavy machine? I have some 2000+ lb machines on casters, and I imagine they'd dent a wood floor of any type. If you put flooring around them, then you're somewhat locked into that position. Sometimes, especially when you first set up a shop, you might want to reconfigure until you get a layout you like. I tend to trade machines in and out periodically (I also tend towards old arn). My solution in my garage has been temporary pads where I usually stand, like foam squares or even scrap rectangles of old carpet (works surprisingly well).

Some suggestions, including flooring and lighting, may depend on if you mostly use hand tools or some/mostly bigger powered tools.

Tyler
(07-31-2023, 07:19 PM)branchacctg Wrote: Comfortable flooring and plenty of electrical outlets throughout the building and maybe even a few on the outside.

Usually people use romex in the walls around here.  But I'm thinking of surface-mounting everything in conduit so I can reconfigure things in the future.  It will be easy to get under the floor also so I can put outlets near the machines.
(07-31-2023, 07:58 PM)jteneyck Wrote: 10 ft ceilings minimum.  Dust collection ducting under the floor if at all possible.  Wood flooring.  More power than you think you'll need.  Plenty of insulation and heat and AC.  Natural light LED lighting, but plenty of windows for the hand tool and assembly areas.

Yeah, all good stuff.  I'll be able to get under the building easily.  So I immediately thought of running power and dust collection under the floors.

It will have a plywood floor to start.  So I could leave it that way or put something else over it.  Not sure what yet.

Power will be a 100 amp sub panel.

The entire thing will be insulated.  And A/C will be some large split unit.

The outside walls are 8 feet.  But the trusses are arched.  So it might be 9 or 10 in the center.  I had planned to put rafters in so I can get a higher R value on the insulation.  But I'll lose the ceiling height if I do that.  The ceiling height is definitely a downside to this building I'm looking at.
(07-31-2023, 08:54 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I agree with the 10'+ ceilings, lots of outlets (120V and 240V, depending on what you have/use), and lots of lighting. For lighting, I'm fine with lots of LEDs, and would have some security concerns with windows. Maybe skylights would be a good addition if you're starting from scratch.

I thought about making shutters that go on the inside.  When I want to close up, I could shut them and put a 2x4 over them like I'm barring the door.

Quote:I'm curious about the wood floor concept, whether wood flooring over concrete or a base of ply over 2x6s, as mentioned. What do you all do if you have a really heavy machine? I have some 2000+ lb machines on casters, and I imagine they'd dent a wood floor of any type. If you put flooring around them, then you're somewhat locked into that position. Sometimes, especially when you first set up a shop, you might want to reconfigure until you get a layout you like. I tend to trade machines in and out periodically (I also tend towards old arn). My solution in my garage has been temporary pads where I usually stand, like foam squares or even scrap rectangles of old carpet (works surprisingly well).

Some suggestions, including flooring and lighting, may depend on if you mostly use hand tools or some/mostly bigger powered tools.

I'm planning big machines, but nothing huge.  Now that I've said that though, I'd be very tempted to pick up an old wide jointer if one appeared.

I thought about putting another layer of 3/4" ply over the existing ply, screwed together.  1.5" flooring with 12" OC joists seems like enough to handle anything.  I think you're right that the casters would cause dents though.  Maybe if I do that I'd have to have a custom dolly with a dozen casters to spread the weight out.

Liquid Lumberdators sells this cheap oak flooring intended for factories and warehouses.  It's like 2.5" wide T&G.  I could nail that stuff down also.  That would stand up to heavy machines.  But I think it might be cost prohibitive.

Here it is:   https://www.llflooring.com/p/r-l-colston...08112.html

Looks like it would add another $2000 or so.
Aside from the obvious things and what others have mentioned, running water would be very high on my list. My shop is in an attached garage with a slop sink and I'm spoiled to have full HVAC and running water. My dream shop would be climate controlled, with a sink and a terlet.