What do yall think about that Rip-it?
Here's their kickstarter video.

Seems totally unnecessary and overpriced.  But I still want one.  lol
Shut up and take your medicine, citizen.
Oopps wrong button !
No thanks
It doesn't make the saw safer, so I'd rather spend the extra on a sawstop saw. It also doesn't work on most crosscuts.

Simon
I saw someone on YouTube demonstrating some very similar for the router table where it adjusted the fence and the bit depth. If you are going to go all electric, I'd prefer both operations are covered. For my money though, I like simplicity. I don't want batteries and such to change. I'll pass for now. I will say that the auto-calibration thing is pretty cool.
I loved the video .  In both the opening shot and the closing shot, the blade guard - dust collection shield ,  seems to be set a foot or two above the blade and on the other side of the fence from the blade  -  that is extremely impressive - though I am not exactly sure how it protects the user or collects any dust from that distance.  I am sure it is much safer than my sawstop because  in the whole video they never have the blade guard anywhere near the blade. My WAG is that if your saw uses a riving knife with an attached blade guard, or the riving knife has anti kick back pawls, the auto calibrate feoture would not work exactly the way they show in the video.

OTOH, it does seem like they have done a nice job putting features into the fence control.
I could see a use case for a commercial shop, particularly if setting a given cut width is more repeatable than by using an index cursor.
(08-12-2023, 08:00 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: I loved the video .  In both the opening shot and the closing shot, the blade guard - dust collection shield ,  seems to be set a foot or two above the blade and on the other side of the fence from the blade  -  that is extremely impressive - though I am not exactly sure how it protects the user or collects any dust from that distance.  I am sure it is much safer than my sawstop because  in the whole video they never have the blade guard anywhere near the blade.  My WAG is that if your saw uses a riving knife with an attached blade guard, or the riving knife has anti kick back pawls, the auto calibrate feoture would not work exactly the way they show in the video.

OTOH,  it does seem like they have done a nice job putting features into the fence control.

I wouldn't buy it, but it is cool.
I imagine that it has memory, so if you autocalibrated it, it would remember the location.
So you could just take off the blade guard then , calibrate it once, and I guess you are ok until the batteries go dead.
In other words, not a deal breaker if you really wanted to buy this.
Of course, when the blade guard is on, you'd have to remember not to type in a 1/2 inch rip without taking the guard off.. or the fence would crash into the guard.

Wow, they are asking $1129 for one.. that's way too steep.
(08-11-2023, 02:46 PM)blanning Wrote: Here's their kickstarter video.

Seems totally unnecessary and overpriced.  But I still want one.  lol

I don’t see much use for it.  

I have several cnc machines if I want to program something.

For something like a router table where joint spacing and but height is more of an issue then it’s more useful.

Maybe for a computerized version of Mathias Wandels box joint jig it has at least some value, but not over 1k.
(08-12-2023, 09:32 AM)merced Wrote: I could see a use case for a commercial shop, particularly if setting a given cut width is more repeatable than by using an index cursor.

That's the primary market I see for it as well. If it's repeatable to .05 gnat's eyelash, they may sell some. Enough to make a business? Stay tuned I guess.
I like the idea. How many times have you cut extra furniture pieces just because you were worried about them all being the exact same width? It would be nice to repeatably be able to go back to an exact measurement. Cutting thin strips of the waste side would be another nice thing if the measurement can always be trusted. 
That being said, i don't think precision fence placement is worth a thousand dollars to me. I have found work arounds. I will wait to see if the technology matures and the price comes down before even thinking about it.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!