Sawstop question
I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into what most Sawstop topics do...that is: the pro/con argument. Anyway, we had a fairly rough thunderstorm 2 nights ago with lots of lightning. Normally when this is in the weather forecast I'll unplug my SS and a few other tools that have some electronic controls on them just in case we get hit with a surge. In this case the storm wwasn't even a mention in the late news weather and i left those tools plugged in. So far I haven't found any damage so I lucked out. But that brings me to my question: do you guys with Sawstops (and other electronic controled tools) unplug them in severe weather? This is a curiosity question on my part....I'll continue to be safe rather than sorry.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You make an excellent point. I have never unplugged my SS PCS due to an impending storm. Last year the electronic on/off box that originally came with my saw went kaput. My saw was one of the first as I bought it on the Field Test Program. After the Field Test Program was over and SS evaluated the performance of the PCS, they sent out a mod package to all owners. In that package was a new electronic on/off box. After the original box went defective, I installed it and all is well, at least so far.

I do not know why the ignition box went out. Recently, I had another stationary electronically controlled device go out at my house. Analysis discovered that not one, but two PC boards were defective. Both the technician and I agreed a lightning surge could've been the culprit. The repair was quite expensive. That device now has a surge protector installed on it. Fingers crossed it works!

Doug
I have a few three phase machines that run on VFDs. One of the VFDs died a few years ago around the time of a storm, so I'm 90% sure it was due to lightning. I now disconnect the VFDs when I'm not using them, as they can be sensitive too surges.

I leave other machines plugged in 24/7, but most of those just have an on/off switch that does a complete disconnect. I don't have a SawStop, so I can't speak to that.

Tyler
We have lots of thunderstorms with lightning here in South Carolina. I have never unplugged my sawstop for a lightning storm and I have never had a problem. I almost hate to say that - kinda like bearding the lion. Nevertheless, I had a lightning issue years ago, long before I bought my SawStop. Lightning hit a tree an my front yard and jumped to my house. Fortunately, it didn't start a fire, but it fried a lot of my electronic equipment, including a magnetic starter on my jointer. Had a long fight with the insurance company, but eventually got everything replaced and got my jointer repaired.
(08-26-2023, 03:50 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I have a few three phase machines that run on VFDs. One of the VFDs died a few years ago around the time of a storm, so I'm 90% sure it was due to lightning.
Tyler

Yeah, my lathe has a VFD, it gets unplugged, along with my bandsaw and drum sander. The stuff with just a motor I usually leave connected. But out house got hit quite a few years ago and the strike did almost $800 in damage to the oven and one refrigerator along with a handful of small things like alarm clocks and so on. We carry a very high deductible on the house policy so it was all out of pocket for us.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Interesting topic. I will be interested to see where it goes.
Just curious, if a tool is completely off how can any current get to the motor ?
(08-27-2023, 10:29 AM)2link2 Wrote: Just curious, if a tool is completely off how can any current get to the motor ?

Through the wires that connect it to your electrical system. 

Doug
I have had the SS PCS since it came out for the field test ( 2009 ) have never unplugged it  ( except when working on it, ) and normally leave the power switch live  , never had a problem so far.  Like Tapper,  I got the extra switch when they finished field testing, but swapped out the original for the revised one, and it is still going strong.
I've never unplugged mine because of a storm; no problem in 11 years of ownership.

But now you have thinking about it.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")