Spraying PolyUrethane Question
I need to refinish the cabinets in my kitchen and am going to use polyurethane as the protective coat.  My question: is it better to spray polyurethane with an airless sprayer, a HVLP system or a LVLP spray gun?
Thanks.
I have had good experience spraying water based urethane with a low volume low pressure (LVLP) spray gun. No experience using an airless gun, but I assume it would work well with the correct tip.
For indoor work, I would recommend water base products. However, because of the need to close off the area and for good ventilation, I would stick with brush and roller indoors.
(09-21-2023, 09:08 AM)dwg Wrote: I need to refinish the cabinets in my kitchen and am going to use polyurethane as the protective coat.  My question: is it better to spray polyurethane with an airless sprayer, a HVLP system or a LVLP spray gun?
Thanks.

I hope you plan to use a waterborne polyurethane.  The overspray from any oil-based varnish is going to make a mess on anything it lands on.  I use an HVLP conversion gun for spraying, but I think you can get good results with an airless if you use the appropriate fine finish orifice, or whatever it's called.  

You can spray WB products inside if you cover everything, have good ventilation, and wear an organics respirator.  Overspray will fall harmlessly to the ground as dried powder, which you can later rollup in the drop cloth and dispose of.  If you want to use a catalyzed product, however, you will need a full suit.  

John