Marking on truck door
(10-16-2023, 06:46 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure what happened without seeing it personally but if you can't catch it with a fingernail, it's probably paint transfer from something white.
Try a little lacquer thinner on a small spot and see if it wipes off. I'd probably do it on the handle to keep it localized. If it doesn't come off easily STOP!. You don't want to soften the clear-coat. If it does come off, get it all off but to it quickly so you don't hurt the clear-coat. It will probably dull the clear-coat a little so you'll need to buff a shine back into it. You can do this by hand with a polishing compound and a slightly damp NEW microfiber towel.

If it doesn't work, get back to me and we'll go from there

lacquer thinner didn't work. It looks something like scratches but can't be sure.

Jim
Jim
(10-19-2023, 03:09 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: lacquer thinner didn't work. It looks something like scratches but can't be sure.

Jim

At this point, I might try using a buffing compound and see if you can polish/buff it out. If you don't have a buffer, try a damp, clean microfiber rag. 

What confuses me is why is it white? Usually that tells me it's paint transfer from something else. Scratches usually aren't white unless there's wax in them or if the car was repainted. A lot of repair clear-coats look white when scratched.. but not factory clear-coat. So there's still an outside chance they aren't scratches. Lacquer thinner didn't work so it isn't a petroleum based paint. You could try turpentine but I'd be shocked if it did anything. Worth a try, it won't hurt your clear coat.

And if that doesn't work... and again without putting my eyes on it the best I could recommend is to have someone who knows what they're doing try to wet sand and buff it out. 

warning: If I were learning to wet-sand and buff, I wouldn't want to learn in the middle of a dark colored door. That's a disaster waiting to happen. If it doesn't wet-sand out, the door and handle will have to be repainted along with the adjacent panel closet to the affected area.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Maybe a silly question... did you try soap and water?

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-21-2023, 09:30 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Maybe a silly question... did you try soap and water?

Not trying to be a smart A__, but if laquer thinner didn't work how could soap & water work. It's been through brushless car wash several times. 
Confused

Jim
Jim
(10-23-2023, 02:58 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Not trying to be a smart A__, but if laquer thinner didn't work how could soap & water work. It's been through brushless car wash several times. 
Confused

Jim

Soap and water will remove a lot of things that LT won't.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-23-2023, 04:05 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:  Soap and water will remove a lot of things that LT won't.

Agreed +17 17 17 17
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I am not an expert. If it was mine, I would try a "clay bar". You spray some soap on it and rub with the bar. It's very good prep before waxing. It removes a lot of the contaminates on the paint. I don't think it is abrasive.
I'll try ther clay bar and let everyone know the results
Jim
I've seen similar patterns on a truck door from a bird that was either trying to fight with his reflection.  It kept happening because the truck was parked fairly close to a nest.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(10-30-2023, 10:10 AM)FireWood Wrote: I've seen similar patterns on a truck door from a bird that was either trying to fight with his reflection.  It kept happening because the truck was parked fairly close to a nest.

Words to ponder. That's one explaination worthwhile

Jim
Jim