My Anarchist Workbench
Here is my version of the Anarchist's Workbench.  Not quite done but pretty darn close.  Top is 72" x 22" to give 2ft of clearance off each end.  Built from #1 and #2 yellow pine 2x.  I put a quick release vise on the right end (I'm a right hander).  My splurge was a Benchcrafted leg vise with Criss Cross.  Built the chop from a 2 piece glue up of 8/4 slab of Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) that I've moved around the garage for 4 years looking for a project to do with it.

My top glue up was not good, had a jointer issue I didn't notice until all 3 sections of the top were in the clamps.  Was able to fix it, reground my jack plan blade to about 7" radius (a quasi scrub plane?)and went to work first hollowing out the hump that ran the length of the bench down the middle then traversing the top to make it flat. Followed up with my Veritas Low Angle Jack to take out the ripple.  Been stalking #7s and #8s on Ebay for a final pass.  Only thing left is chopping the mortise for the planing stop and drilling holes for hold downs and dogs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great so far.. that's a lot of work
Smile
(10-22-2023, 09:05 PM)paul2004 Wrote: Looks great so far.. that's a lot of work
Smile

Paul nailed it.

I am surprised how hard SYP becomes.  When I built my bench, I had very little woodworking experience, small budget, but a good supply of old SYP #2 2x4s.  I figured the building experience outweighed using "cheap" material and I could build a new top when I had the funds.  That was the same year I joined WN.  Still have the bench...does not look near as nice as yours.

What do you think your bench weighs...250lbs?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
What's "anarchist" about it?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You would have to ask this guy, about that..

As he is the one that came up with that term...

One of about 8 benches you will find here...

and..don't forget about the Tool Chest...

With the same name...

So...have a seat..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-23-2023, 11:39 AM)AHill Wrote: What's "anarchist" about it?

I always assumed it was a joke referencing the "Anarchist cookbook" which was published in the 70s.. but I could be wrong.
He explains it pretty clearly in his book(s), but “anarchist” is largely about not accepting the status quo of disposable furniture.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Wow Bryan, your bench looks great! I am in the process of building my version of the Anarchist workbench too but I am not as far long a you are. Making mine out of hemlock I harvested off my property a few years ago and then milled on my sawmill. I'll probably have about $10 into the wood for it.
As was mentioned it is a good learning process.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Bryan, nice work.  Are you going to use holdfasts?  I thought about an even distribution of holes, then decided to just drill them one at a time where they looked like they would help a particular project, and that worked out so far.
Despite the flaws you mention, your bench looks great.  Mine is similar.  I do find the stretcher along the bottom a little low for my liking.  Kind of like a too small toe kick in the kitchen.  Otherwise I find it a great bench design.  I really like the addition of the leg vice to yours. I think I will put that on my list.