Best glue for tambour
I making a bread box with a tambour door. I was gonna use some sort of canvas, maybe a drop cloth material and glue it to the pieces. What sort of adhesive would be best for this approach?
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(10-28-2023, 07:47 PM)plharrison Wrote: I making a bread box with a tambour door. I was gonna use some sort of canvas, maybe a drop cloth material and glue it to the pieces. What sort of adhesive would be best for this approach?

I've always used TB, pick you flavor.  Just don't go nuts with it.  You don't want it to get between the slats.  

John
i built a roll top desk about 18 years ago. I used contact cement to attach the tambour to the heavy canvas. Still working like the day I made it

Greg
(10-29-2023, 05:30 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: i built a roll top desk about 18 years ago. I used contact cement to attach the tambour to the heavy canvas. Still working like the day I made it

Greg

I've never built a tambour door but the articles I've read on the subject always recommend contact cement.

Frank
Generally with contact cement , you apply it to both pieces being stuck together. Did you apply it to the wood and the cloth or whatever it was you were using?
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(10-30-2023, 02:49 PM)plharrison Wrote: Generally with contact cement , you apply it to both pieces being stuck together. Did you apply it to the wood and the cloth or whatever it was you were using?

You might want to read this article from what many consider a reputable source:

Tambour Door build

John
My First tambour door was over 45 years ago for my rolltop desk . Never gave any problems and have been using contact cement ever since on numerous bread boxes, appliance garages and toy boxes for customers never had any problems from no one. Building a jig to hold all parts securely is key, and contact cement is very important in keeping the cloth flexible. in minutes you can take out and clean any excess glue between slats by folding them open back to back. then you won't have any staining or finish problems.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
New Yankee Workshop had a two part show about building a roll top desk. It's now on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmv0y2kGb9g Of course part of that was building a tambour. Might be worth a watch though a bread box is simpler than a roll top desk but there may be a tip in there.