A Project for November
As it will take a while to build...needed to clear off the bench..

And clean up the tablesaw (it was getting rather nasty looking)..

And now..

We have work to do...first two planks to the shop...that will get milled into 4 Stiles..

Planks were a bit too long..only need 41" in length 

So, I also cut the worst end off of each...

Split ends, anyone? 

Next..need to set the best edge against the rip fence, and buzz off the wavier edge.....reset the fence a blade's width, and run the just sawn edge against it..no more wavy edges, and the edges are NOW parallel ( not tapered)

Then, find the exact center of the planks...set the rip fence to split that line...

There are now 4 stiles sitting on my bench...will need cross cut for square and final length, later....for now?

Will let these sit like this for a day or 3...

Goal?   Project is a 5 drawer Chest of Drawers...Frame & Raised Panel sides....and match the other smaller chest in the bedroom..

There was a plan, that I will simply re-size up to the full size 5 drawer version of this..

Next up? haul a couple more planks to the shop...need blanks for 10 raised panels....and then start milling the rails to hold them...

Stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Page #2?
Hauled a couple more planks to the shop...
Some went to make 10 blanks to become Raised Panels...

Cross cut to rough length (~11" or so)  Then the wavy edge removal routine..

and set aside, out of the way..

There was another stack of 11" long blanks...this time I only buzzed one edge smooth,,,as I need to rip 4 pieces @ 2" wide

Two were to be the top rail, the other 2 for a bottom rail...reset the fence a bit..needed 8 resawn to 1-1/2" width...

To be the middle rails, 4 per side...

Tablesaw does not do Dado Blades...and.. rails are too narrow to use the Stanley 45 to plough grooves with...

Zero Clearance Overlay, to keep parts from dropping down in the wide mouth of the saw...fence set up a couple times...once to define the "walls" of the grooves..

And, since the grooves on the stiles need to match the ones in the rails..stiles were also done, then reset the fence to clear out the center..

Rails also need tenons...tenon maker?

Results?

One done..only 24 more to do

Stay tuned...
Ok...time for a bit of molding to get made.

The show faces of these parts need a detail...then once things are assembled, the molding form a picture frame around the Raised panel...with mitered corners...

That molding has to go along..

One of these walls...mid rails got 2 molded edges..

Don't have a Stanley #55  so..

Since the Dungeon Woodshop IS a Hybrid Shop..I do have a router table...and I can use the fence from the tablesaw, too.

Since this ways is deemed unsafe..by me...buried the bearing into the fence..

Results?

But, before any of this could happen..there was an "issue"

Rails had been resaw down to 3/4"...which left the stiles @ 7/8" thick a little....off..so..buzzed both faces, one to remove the rough sawn look, and the other to get down to 3/4" thickness..

Which was done before all the grooves were milled, BTW... then the edge of the stile , on the show face, that had the groove...was also run through

Goal?

That when a mortise gets done and fitted...the corner where a rail meets the stile will look like this.

One other item to do...where the rails meet the stiles...there needs to be a miter joint...half of which..

Right here.  tilt the blade to 45 degrees, line up with that cut line mark..and run each rail through...IF an edge had a groove, that is where the miter cut will go...no groove? No miter cut.   Top and Bottom rails only got one groove..Stiles will be handsawn to match, BTW

Never fear, we will be back to using hand tools, in the next episode

Stay tuned
Best stock up on the glue for this one Bandit. I've restocked my coffee supply. I'm ready to go. Build away.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
While I had the stiles all clamped up, I thought it would a good idea to do some lay outs..

Using just a single rail and a single panel blank   start 5" up from the "Foot" end...and worked my way towards the top...I also got the final length for the stiles figured out..

Hmm, just a hair too long.  plus square up the foot end...

Set 3 stiles aside, once they were all trimmed up..time to work on a few mortises..

Starting at the top of the stile...because the rail sit down onto the bottom of the groove..

Means I need to cut away a few places..

Then, chop out the mortise..and do a dry fit..

Needs a bit of fine tuning..   Mitered part was done with a Disston No.68 Gents saw...flat area was cut down with a wide chisel..

Tool Kit?  Jig to hold the stile in place while I work on it..

Just 3 pieces of scrap...screwed to the top of the bench's leg..

Just clamp the stile in place...does not bounce...

One done..only 23 more to go...

Stay tuned..
One nice thing about getting the rails to final lengths...I can now size  the Raised Panel blank for length...although, without including the 1/2" long tenons on the ends of the rails...

Figured I could go ahead and "raise" the panels?   Paul Sellers just uses a #4 hand plane...I am NOT Paul Sellers..so..

Tilt the saw blade to ~15 degrees...run all the edges through..while picking the "Best" face.....on the back of each panel..there is a rebate..

Allows the inside face of the panel to be flush with the inside faces of the rails...

About like this....Middle rails, need 2 miter cuts....and the a wide chisel...

To make that picture frame joints...3 fitted..

Also need to bandsaw a profile for the foot...

Stay tuned...
Checks calendar. Hmmm. Still October, but this is a November build thread...

Kinda.... spooky ! !

Laugh
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Last 2 mortises are done..so..let's see how one gets done..

Mark the miter..

Mark how far down to go..

Set to the depth of the groove..Mark where the mortise will be..then grab a saw..

Then a wide chisel..

To remove the waste..then confirm the mortise location..

Should be right where the saw cuts hit the bottom of the groove..

Since this had been getting a workout ( for once?) I even sharpened it back up...Chisel is 8mm wide..
Dig down until I reached the required depth, and do a dry fit..

Then confirm the panel still fits ..

Never hurts to double check...one more mortise to chop, then I can work on a "foot"..

Trace around the pattern, so it will match the other 3 feet..

Then spend the 2nd hour of shoptime,,finish sanding/planing parts...to get them all ready for a glue up..

More on the cleaning, later..
Panels were still a bit rough-sawn looking..

80 grit beltsander got MOST of the rough stuff...and took down a few high spots (cupping?)  then this fellow could finish things up..

Along with a No. 60-1/2 Block plane to smooth the bevels...the #4-1/2c did the flat stuff..

Inside face of the panels?  Just belt-sanded Flat..

as some of the edges were higher than the middle of the panel...

Outside faces of the rails were planed and sanded smooth....stiles were planed smooth...cleaned out the nozzle on the glue bottle, and grabbed an acid brush..let the cussing begin..

Something about there being 13 parts to get to go together all at once....glue on the tenons, spread around with the brush...worked my way up from the "Bottom" rail...mallet proved to be very useful....five clamps almost done....checked the end for square...not quite...we have ways...

Just a wee clamp, to pull the diagonals ..until this says it is square..

Always leave just enough room under the clamps, to allow a square to slide by....will let this mess sit overnight..

While I get set up to start on side #2

NEXT!

BTW panels are a bit loose, so..tomorrow after the clamps come off...I will go over them, getting them centered up (and NOT sitting whopper-jawed..) and add a small brad in the middle of the panels where it is in the groove..that way, the panel can expand and contract all it wants to, while still staying centered between the rails ( and NOT rattle)

Right now..back is sore, toes want to cramp up..thinking either a Tonic & Gin, or a Cuppa with Irish Creamer?   Will try to get a little more done, tomorrow?
Ok, last night...Side #2....mortise #1 through #6 were done...

This morning...Side #2...Mortises #7, #8, #9, #10, and #11 were chopped and fitted..

But, not until AFTER that 8mm Mortise Chisel had a new edge sharpened....was starting to bounce back in a cut...took long to sharpen than to chop these 2 mortises...

With a Panel to check the fit...almost done..?
All but that top one...Stile #1 and most of the rails and panels were being test fitted..to Stile #2....even have to label the parts as to which end goes where...

The reason #12 wasn't done?

There be a nasty old Knot in there...was too tired to mess around with it...

Both stiles will need a bit of bandsaw work....trace around a pattern, and..

Cut away the waste..to match the other two "Feet"

Like these 2.

Once Side #2 has been glued up..I can start on the Webframes that the drawers will slide in on...that will also connect the 2 Sides together..Have to allow for a Face Frame in front, and a 1/4" plywood back...the back will sit in a 1/4" deep rebate....that I also have to mill...Thinking maybe a #78 or a #79 will do that task?

Stay tuned...