Junky Walnut Boards
I'm wanting to sell these 80-year-old boards locally. I might say they would make an antique-looking farm table. BUT ... look at the photos. They are "wormy."
I'm sure it is NOT powderpost beetles, as there was no brown frass when I moved the pile. And we live in northern Illinois where it gets below zero in winter.
My question is: Might these be useful boards, or would any self-respecting woodworker run away from them as fast as possible?
Did the photos load? they dont show in the preview.
(11-04-2023, 03:20 PM)petertay15 Wrote: I'm wanting to sell these 80-year-old boards locally.  I might say they would make an antique-looking farm table. BUT ... look at the photos.  They are "wormy."
I'm sure it is NOT powderpost beetles, as there was no brown frass when I moved the pile. And we live in northern Illinois where it gets below zero in winter.
My question is: Might these be useful boards, or would any self-respecting woodworker run away from them as fast as possible?
Did the photos load? they dont show in the preview.

Photos did not load. Try saving them as JPG or PNG files first and then import them here.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Somebody will want walnut unless its just completely cleaned out by powderpost.  They are in old barns all over the upper midwest, so you cannot rule them out based on temperatures.
(12-02-2023, 02:15 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: Photos did not load. Try saving them as JPG or PNG files first and then import them here.

Photos are in this thead

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7374238
Sell it as 80yo antique wood.....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020