Grizzly recalling >21,000 wood lathes
From Family Handyman

Quote:According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website, three models from Grizzly are subject to the recall:
  • Grizzly Industrial Wood Lathe, Model Number G0584;
  • Grizzly Industrial Wood Lathe, Model Number G0462;
  • Grizzly Shop Fox Wood Lathe, Model Number W1758.
All are variable-speed, electric wood lathes with a green or white bed, cast iron legs, an extendable tool rest and a swivel headstock.

Why Are Grizzly Lathes Being Recalled?
According to the CPSC: “The wood lathes cutting tool can break, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and bystanders, and a laceration hazard to the user who could come into direct contact with the cutting tool.”

So far, Grizzly has received four reports of the cutting tool breaking, and one reported injury.

What To Do If You Have a Recalled Grizzly Lathe
If you own one of the recalled lathe models, the CPSC urges you to stop using it immediately. Then, contact Grizzly by email at recalls@grizzly.com or phone at (888) 615-7944.
Grizzly will provide you a free repair kit including an upgraded faceplate, tool rest and base. The company will cover shipping. You must repair the lathe yourself or hire someone to do it.

A little bit more info on the FH website (including links).

If someone finds out what "wood lathe cutting tool" can break, please let us know.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
"The repair kit consists of an upgraded faceplate, tool rest and tool rest base."

Perhaps the tool rest or base cracked or broke?
saw this and was a bit confused myself.  
Crazy
(11-14-2023, 08:56 PM)gjohn Wrote: "The repair kit consists of an upgraded faceplate, tool rest and tool rest base."

Perhaps the tool rest or base cracked or broke?

I was especially surprised by the faceplate part.

Tool rests have certainly been known to fail during use. That can cause several types of accidents.

If the banjo (tool rest base) has a major casting flaw, it could fail and having the tool rest strike the spinning blank could have all sorts of major problems. It could even cause the blank to come apart. A few years back, one woman died from brain injuries when the piece she was turning came apart. That same year, the president of one of the GA turning clubs had his jaw broken when his piece came apart. Neither was wearing a face shield and both broke the first safety rule of turning: never stand in the danger zone.

Based on the line from the article that you quoted, I speculate that Grizzley had a problem with their foundry that was making those components.

I very much am interested in hearing from someone with more knowledge of the issue(s).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-15-2023, 12:47 PM)iclark Wrote: I very much am interested in hearing from someone with more knowledge of the issue(s).

Contact Shiraz Balolia, he's a member here.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-06-2023, 08:55 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Contact Shiraz Balolia, he's a member here.

I'm not sure how much He or anyone else from Grizzly is going to say beyond what the CPSC has published. I'm sure that Grizzly's lawyers are dictating what can and shouldn't be said.
Bug 
(12-12-2023, 01:59 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I'm not sure how much He or anyone else from Grizzly is going to say beyond what the CPSC has published. I'm sure that Grizzly's lawyers are dictating what can and shouldn't be said.

I'm not either, but he can be asked
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020