DIY Lipping planer?
Any ideas on how to carefully trim homemade 1/4" hardwood edge trim, I've been struggling to get this right using a trim router, been gouging the edge trim since it's tippy. I clamped a 2x4 to the 3/4" plywood but still not working well.

I was trying to do it on an already assembled 8' cabinet box though.
The 2x4 clamped on trick has always worked for me. If you have a fence for that router using it may help.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
WoodSmith had this jig many years ago:

[Image: ADCreHfl1O6vEtnPt6YEV42mo7t6w8B1KigAPFYT...authuser=1]

It uses a piloted 1/2" bit.  

[Image: ADCreHfPR5XW3w0gNGsyiIM2cmSNnZBgvxoO4Ft0...authuser=1]

It works really well on narrow edging.  

A year or two ago I needed to trim some 1-1/2" finger joints.  I made this jig from two pieces of 3/8" thick acrylic with the router mounted vertically and using a straight bit. 

[Image: ADCreHfwiiOEyd0nqPqavKa7j9f6B-Y_A7JhVS_k...authuser=1] 
[Image: ADCreHeVkBnKXDI9rTtD9_ttNJGvstfN5vvFAnB2...authuser=1]

John
jteneyck

Nice jig, I cannot see the second two images, they have have some authorization on the web site address

Fred, I'll try to set up a fence on my trim router that should help
I remember a few years ago instructions for making an oversized off center base plate for a router. The edge of the base plate had a cut out for the bit and the bit was held in front of the base plate which is why the base plate was oversized. Adjust the bit so it was just above the work piece. There may be a tiny bit sticking above the surface of the work piece but easily finished with a block plane or sand paper.
(11-18-2023, 07:10 PM)davco Wrote: jteneyck

Nice jig, I cannot see the second two images, they have have some authorization on the web site address

Fred,  I'll try to set up a fence on my trim router that should help

Sorry.  They should be visible now.

[Image: ADCreHfpy3d7JkGFswKSbQphAaxSPBN9QUiYPJzf...authuser=1]

[Image: ADCreHfsoh-TQqFirDtcWS92ZDXxJyb_7v3OPjlC...authuser=1]

The wide overlay is what allowed me to trim the ends of these large finger joints.

[Image: ADCreHeBhQXivULdRwvPIeIFk0Q6lOLQVcRQabNB...authuser=1]

[Image: ADCreHdIg_Z-Z2aK6pp0OBCEodXMDIhQ4v6fWT-c...authuser=1]

John
Finger joints look great
Bug 
(11-19-2023, 11:48 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: I remember a few years ago instructions for making an oversized off center base plate for a router. The edge of the base plate had a cut out for the bit and the bit was held in front of the base plate which is why the base plate was oversized. Adjust the bit so it was just above the work piece. There may be a tiny bit sticking above the surface of the work piece but easily finished with a block plane or sand paper.

Routerman custom made me a router base for lip planning several years ago. 15? Maybe, dunno.

I'll try and throw up some pics tomorrow.
I once tried a piloted bit like John shows but the bearing left a turd trail in the veneer and was tough to be sanded out without going through the veneer.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Bug 
One of these could be made out of something stable, say 1/2" baltic birch, or even OSB roof sheeting. Half of one end could be reduced on a table saw (laying flat), or just laminate a piece of 7/32 ply on it. Use your present router plate to mark the mounting screw holes, add a knob, purchase a 1-1/4" flat bottom bit, and you have a lipping planer/router.

Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020