Round pedestal table in ambrosia maple and walnut
Here's my latest table build, a commission for a local customer.  She sent me this pic and asked whether I could build it.  We discussed wood types for a while; she wanted ambrosia maple, her husband walnut. 

I showed examples of the mixed woods and they loved it. 

All joinery is M&T, half lap, or dadoes and grooves.  The feet will be attached to the underside if the pillar with threaded inserts and screws.

I'm recording *every* step in video for a later YouTube video, but will take pics to update this thread.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Here's the top.  About 1.75" thick and 48" across.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I've started the base.  Half lap joinery cut on my table saw.  Details on the feet cut on the bandsaw.  Need to clean up the underside relief with a router, template bit, and straight edge.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Holy cow; what an awesome design!  I am a huge fan of "stoutly" built furniture.  The customer is always right...but...that is a massive base for a 48" table.

Looks like you are off to a good start.  Keep the pictures coming.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
She said she wanted chunky!  The pillar is 5" square, so it fits well.
Semper fi,
Brad

well done, Brad!. I love that top...but I love ambrosia maple anyway. That aside, it really is a solid looking table...nice! Do you move it with a 5 ton crane?
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-09-2023, 05:44 PM)fredhargis Wrote: well done, Brad!. I love that top...but I love ambrosia maple anyway. That aside, it really is a solid looking table...nice! Do you move it with a 5 ton crane?
Laugh

Ha!  The 7'x43" red oak trestle table I built last year weighed 205# when done.  This one should come out way less!

I just sent her this pic to make sure she's cool with the scale; they're just under 3-1/4" wide.  The column is 5" square and the line denotes the top surface of the table. 

She loves it, so onward!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(12-09-2023, 08:33 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Ha!  The 7'x43" red oak trestle table I built last year weighed 205# when done.  This one should come out way less!

I just sent her this pic to make sure she's cool with the scale; they're just under 3-1/4" wide.  The column is 5" square and the line denotes the top surface of the table. 

She loves it, so onward!

When I made my wine cabinet I did not skimp on materials. No idea on weight, but it was extremely heavy.

[Image: 20151118-210618.jpg]
No idea if this is an option for you, but the last few times I did trestle tables I started gluing beveled pieces on the bottom and then just sanding or surfacing the outside. It is so much faster and easier than having to clean up with a router and whatnot.

Either way, looking great.
Thumbs up for another great Brad project
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Beautiful top Brad!  That should look awesome when finished.