Under mount or top mount sink for kitchen
Bug 
(12-17-2023, 08:11 AM)museumguy Wrote: Sometimes, you can't replace a sink by itself. You need a whole new top. We did a lot of undermount sinks in laminate tops. The sink is glued directly to the laminate. There's no replacing that sink without destroying the top.

Glued to the laminate, which is on the 'bottom' of the countertop?
I've never placed, nor seen laminate on the bottom side of a countertop.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-17-2023, 11:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Glued to the laminate, which is on the 'bottom' of the countertop?
I've never placed, nor seen laminate on the bottom side of a countertop.

I always put laminate on the underside that is above the dishwasher.   Have seen moisture issues there.   Roly
(12-16-2023, 03:05 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Would you care to share WHY you think top mounts are easier to install and uninstall ?

#1. Top mount sinks have a lip that holds them while you're doing whatever needs to be done underneath, so if nothing else you're not fighting gravity, making them easier for a layperson to install/ uninstall. You have 40 years experience installing sinks so it makes sense that top mount, under mount, side mount, whatever probably makes no difference to you. Most regular DIY people install what 2-3 sinks in our entire lives so without having decades of experience to fall back on have a slightly harder time installing under mount sinks.

#2. Majority of top mount sinks have the plumbing holes as part of the sink, allowing you to do most of the connections from up top, making them slightly easier for a layperson to install.

#3. Plumbers generally charge more to install an under mount sink. I assumed this was because they are more difficult to install.

#4. It's just my opinion man. I'm not trying to change YOUR mind, I'm trying to give advice to the OP or to any generic DIY'er who comes across this post and considering the pros/ cons of both types.
Bug 
(12-18-2023, 08:19 AM)Roly Wrote: I always put laminate on the underside that is above the dishwasher.   Have seen moisture issues there.   Roly

Agree with that. And I would also seal the cutout for the sink, the exposed PB, with a couple of coats of poly.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I’m amazed the traction this thread got. Thanks for all the responses.

I’m leaning towards the undermount, double bowl sink. LOML wants double bowl.
I’d like to get rid of the disposal too since we got along fine without one for eight years in Hawaii.
VH07V  
ajk - thanks for the perspective. 

never really considered the faucet install before dropping in the sink angle, probably because 99.99% of mine are mounted in the counter whether it was top or bottom mount.  Those sinks I mentioned earlier that are dual configuration have that feature too.

Have to ask about your gravity consideration though.  Installing might be easier , but then you’re fighting it on the replacement;  no ?  

A properly installed undermount has mechanical attachment like a wire cage, metal struts, clips/tabs fastened into the top’s underside -that hold the sink close to (or fully seated) the underside while you adjust and make the final tightening, so it’s not such a fight as I believe you think.    But, ya still gotta crawl under the counter to do the faucet 
Sad

unless it’s one of those dual install kinds I’ve mentioned.
I have installed both undermount and drop in sinks. As an experienced DIYer the drop in are much easier to install. basically it's caulk the lip, drop it in and call it done. Undermount you gotta fasten studs for clips or tabs, then get tabs on, then get the sink in and figure out how to hold it up while you get the tabs on. You're working on your back the entire time through an opening that is not really wide enough for your shoulders.

My concern with under mount sinks is the exposed stone countertop that could be susceptible to chipping from washing large heavy items. I went with a top mount and like it very much. I purchased the Kohler stainless steel single bowl sink/faucet and more combo from Costco. I find it to be very high quality and if purchased on sale it is unbeatable. First time we ever had a single bowl kitchen sink and we are so happy we made the switch. I would never go back to a double bowl but to each their own.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(12-21-2023, 02:10 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: My concern with under mount sinks is the exposed stone countertop that could be susceptible to chipping from washing large heavy items. I went with a top mount and like it very much. I purchased the Kohler stainless steel single bowl sink/faucet and more combo from Costco. I find it to be very high quality and if purchased on sale it is unbeatable. First time we ever had a single bowl kitchen sink and we are so happy we made the switch. I would never go back to a double bowl but to each their own.

We were just the opposite with the single bowl. The townhouse we rented while building the new house had a large undermount SS single bowl...and we HATED it. Where do you put clean dishes when as you wash them? Where is your rinse water? We mad darn sure to go with a double bowl in the new kitchen.
(12-21-2023, 09:02 AM)vernonator Wrote: We were just the opposite with the single bowl. The townhouse we rented while building the new house had a large undermount SS single bowl...and we HATED it. Where do you put clean dishes when as you wash them? Where is your rinse water? We mad darn sure to go with a double bowl in the new kitchen.

Our sink is a large single bowl. I prefer it for washing larger pots and cookie sheets.  I specifically asked for that when they were building the house.  however, what they missed was the black stone sink my wife wanted.  Instead we got a stainless steel.  It's an undermount.